Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Fw: Subscribe: 'News from Miniart' ?? 15.04.2013

  • gaz410
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2013
      Woodie
      Steam is hot and getting scolded isn't nice. But when it comes to real bad burns from steam, most of the cases I have read about, wearing of clothes actually made the scolding worse by keeping hot water and steam in close contact with the skin. So clothes (to a certain degree) can make scolding worse.

      Not being educated in medicine surely makes my assumptions open to debate...

      But I know for a fact, that on the Danish 700 mm. gauge beet railways a derailment and following death by scolding of three men on a loco, led to roofs designed to fall of in case of a serious derailment. The logic being that when a loco turned over, the roof fell off leaving the crew easier escape from the cab and scolding steam.

      Interesting figures. I just wonder about wearing shorts while driving a steam loco...with hot steam hissing out here & there, hot oil squirting at just about knee level, sharp edges inside a small cab....I would want long pants even on a hot day! Maybe these guys would look good on the beach watching a volleyball game?
      Just my observation.

      Woodie