RE: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: 2013 Miniart releases of interest

  • Al HN
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 10, 2013

      Ahh woe is me, you are probably right on the money with that astute observation, time is getting more precious

      by the minute so to hell with the nit picker brigade I guess.

      Al. H.N.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 10, 2013
        I would like to see the quality of the Miniart roof''s edge. It is a very tricky thing to produce and as far as I know simply imposibly to be done with vacuum forming, which is the way Miniart has been producing all their roofs (well, at least all I have seen) so far.But vacuum forming such roofs present several other problems.
        I've tried it but unavoidably you get, apart of the not convincing continuous simple thickness edge, rounded top edges at every tile -as all the ones Plastruct has been offering- whicj is o.k. for some types of tiles, acceptable for others but simply not convincing for barrel ones.
        The drawing Miniart has had for years in theoir site shows a nice alternate simple/double material thickness as the prototype and I have been wandering how would they produce it.
        I suspect they simply can't. We'll see.
        I've made a couple of intents at vacuum forming these roofs using as pattern one casted in reinforced plaster from the mould Rudy Hesse lend me a couple of tears ago. He had got it from an original MK35 resin roof which is no more prodeuced because the moualding MK35 used for it is -they told me- too dammaged and they have no intention to get a new one.
        Also if the pattern is beautiful it is a massive 4 to 5mm thick plaster casting witgh,of course, massive edges. That is why I decided to give vacuum forming a try. And what I've got, even using very thin plastic, was every time rounded edges at the lower end of every tile.
        John Vogelaar sugested I should make tiny holes so to get a better -stronger- 'directed' vacuum power. I agree probably 0,5 or smaller holes could improve the end result a bit but didn't tried because that wouldn't so;lve the thickness problem at the lower edge. Now, while writing this, I think may be, if I succeed at getting solved the problem of the curved top edges I will try to simply cut away a tiny piece of  the lower 'tiles'at the lower edge of the roof and glue a similar treated stroke of tiles, up side down, at the lower edge....
        Hmm... I am affraid I can't explain this propw=erly with words but I will post about the results as soon as |I've tried it.

        Daniel

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 10, 2013
          Nick:

                "You could have cast a lot of tiles in the time that MiniArt made their announcement and now..."

           Ouch!!! You are right.

          Well...almost: one of the reasons why I love modelling is because I am doing constantly very variated work. Honestly I can't see myself in a so disciplined, repetitive work for so long time, casting one batch of tiles every day for a couple of years.
          But that is only 1/3 or less of the work: do you imagine yourself laying every single tile until you've got all the roofs of the village done?

          I will certainly model such a roof some day but only if it is one or two roofs, not so many as at the village.

          Anyway there is an alternative I must still check: the Debris tiles seem to be same size as the ones I've got at the plaster castings. If I manage to ad to each roof a lower row of tiles made with the Debris ones and succeed at disguissing the joint decently my problem would be solved

          Daniel

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 11, 2013
            Maybe I am happy to accept something that is not an exact replica. My artwork is based on the Impressionist movement and that captures the feel of the South of France very well.
            As for individual tiles, probably even more difficult to capture shape exactly. I have a load of old tiles at my house in France so have had a close look. The tile is slightly tapered at top end so one above locks in. Well that is how they work in my area. Possibly different in other areas.
            Suspect what ever is produced won't satisfy everyone. Once on roof, then the lowest tiles should also show the upsidedown ones inbetween. Even then there are probably examples where this is not the case.
            There are also modern variations of this tile, which are designed to clip together differently. There might also be slight differences in size depending on manufacturer. I have found this with floor tiles.
            On a slightly different angle, and that is all materials. In my area they don't use bricks, but have a small flat tile that is laid on end in two lines with gap for interior walls, so any part demolished building will have these rather than bricks. There is always something to trip you up, so if want to be 100% accurate necessary to check real buildings in locality.

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 11, 2013
              Please, don´t misunderstand me: it is certainly not my intention to point others how to model or what should be reproduced or not.
              I am just saying what feels important to me in my model.
              I am, for sure, not a ´finescaler´ and my skills and expectations are a lot less than Marc Reusser´s or other of the big genius´s here. Partly because I do care about joy and spontaneity and second my eyes are no more as good as the used to be and I have no intention to even try to model what I couldn´t see.
              What happens is that for one or the other reason the lower edges of the roofs catch my attention and I don´t know even why. It is just so so I do what I can to meet that interest.
              But if it gets too difficult I will for sure get back to the plaster castings as they are.
              I don´t know if you have seen the plaster castings. I will post a couple of photos in a moment.
              You will notice the irregularity you can see everywhere in (old) France , Spain and Italy. Enen some broken tiles. i love that and also the dry not too smooth surface of the plaster.

              About the prototype tiles± yes, there is a broad variation in sizes and some with a hole for a spike.
              Here in the Netherlands it is common to see barrel tiles in roofs with a very sharp angle. Those wouldn´t be possible without the tiles being nailed to a wooden structure.

              About the patter: I know they are many variations but I don´t think barrel tiles can be laid other than alternating each tile with an up side down one.
              The nearest thing I´ve  seen is the up side down tiles replaced by flat ones with a protuding leap at each side. But such roofs look too moder and far from what I want to model.

              Daniel

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 11, 2013
              Here the photos.
              I've done my best to hyde the plaster casting thicvknessw with the drain pipe but still... I would love to see the lower edge of the tiles as the real ones!

              Daniel

              Message 7 of 26 , Feb 11, 2013
              I've found a small remain of the roof I vacuum formed from the plaster casting. See the differences at the attqached photos.

              Daniel

              Maybe I am happy to accept something that is not an exact replica. My artwork is based on the Impressionist movement and that captures the feel of the South of France very well.
              As for individual tiles, probably even more difficult to capture shape exactly. I have a load of old tiles at my house in France so have had a close look. The tile is slightly tapered at top end so one above locks in. Well that is how they work in my area. Possibly different in other areas.
              Suspect what ever is produced won't satisfy everyone. Once on roof, then the lowest tiles should also show the upsidedown ones inbetween. Even then there are probably examples where this is not the case.
              There are also modern variations of this tile, which are designed to clip together differently. There might also be slight differences in size depending on manufacturer. I have found this with floor tiles.
              On a slightly different angle, and that is all materials. In my area they don't use bricks, but have a small flat tile that is laid on end in two lines with gap for interior walls, so any part demolished building will have these rather than bricks. There is always something to trip you up, so if want to be 100% accurate necessary to check real buildings in locality.

              --- In mailto:FS32NGModelrail%40yahoogroups.com, daniel caso wrote:

              > Nick:
              >
              >       "You could have cast a lot of tiles in the time that MiniArt made their announcement and now..."
              >

              > ________________________________

            • rd_etropal
              Message 8 of 26 , Feb 12, 2013
                just had another look at the photos, and roof pitch is more important. My house in France has a very low roof pitch, which is normal for these tiles in the area. Any steeper and they will slide off the roof much quicker. I think someone told me they are not pinned like other tiles. Also new tiles might be even in colour, but after a bit of sun and rain colour becomes pretty variable. My neighbour has also told me that tiles on his roof were more brown but officials claimed the redder tiles were more original.

                Message 9 of 26 , Feb 12, 2013
                  As you've said before, there are many types of barrel tiles.
                  Here in the Netherlands they are pinned and very steep roofs are done with them.
                  A Friend from England told me also there there is a lot of barrel tiles. He explained sheep came to continental Europe loaded with goods and to avoid going back empty -what would make the trip more dangerous- they often brought to England huge amounts of barrel tiles. I supose those were mainly from France.

                  Daniel

                  Message 10 of 26 , Feb 12, 2013
                    I suspect barrel tiles in Britain are more for style rather than function. I have seen pictures of a flattish tile wile a slight ridge at side in Northern Europe but nothing as round as is found in southern France. They do have a flatter tile as well, which I have seen in Provence. I think this all goes to prove that there is a lot more to roofs and if you want to be as accurate as possible check out the area you are modelling.
                    I wanted to attach some photos but can't see any button to do so. Help pages only suggest I am not set up to attach photos.

                    Message 11 of 26 , Feb 12, 2013
                      To post photos follow this steps:

                      1- Go to the homepage of the group.

                      2- in the column at the left side of the screen click on PHOTOS. A page will open with the first albums page.

                      3-At the top right you will see the option CREATE ALBUM. Clicdk on it.

                      4-Fill in the tittle you want for your album. Under the tittle you have the possibility of adding an orientating clue.

                      5-aclick on ADD PHOTOS

                      6-Start your list with the first photo and go on  adding all you want.

                      7-Click on UPLOAD and ewait until it is done (You'll notice it.

                      8-Click onb SEE PHOTOS

                      9- Eventually you can click on RE-ARRANGE to give the photos the order you want.

                      10- Once you have that done click on SAVE.

                      You are done.

                      If you don't want an album just attach the photos as you normaly do to your m4essage.

                      I hope this helps.

                      Daniel