Loaded Skips

  • Claus
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012
      All:
      Sitting in your 'modelling cave' all summer isn't too good for your tan (or popular with the familiy). I have a habit of moving small modelling tasks out in the garden. I choose projects that don't require a lot of tools or are too sensitive to the weather (a sudden gust of wind could mean disaster to some projects).

      This weekend I loaded six skips with gravel. For far too long Nystrup Gravel has been moving empty skips back and forth. No wonder the financial results of the enterprise has been somewhat disapointing...

      In the proces I even discovered a skip I had forgotten all about. It's a Hudson 'Rugga' from Lantz & Bantock (heavy like a brick). It just needed a light weathering and a load - work that is now being done.

      See the skip loading proces on http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2012/08/skips-full-of-gravel.html

      Any summer projects from the rest of you guys on the northern hemisphere?

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012
        Claus,
        I don't know why you would want to go to such trouble, when the only
        realistic way to load any wagon, is to load it with the real thing. If your
        skips are unable to be operated to unload them, then the next best thing to
        do is to lay some cling wrap into the skip body, add a decent amount of lead
        shot of liquid weight into it and then add the gravel directly over that,
        with a small magnet hidden under the surface of the gravel, bond the whole
        lot together, and once dry you can either use another magnet or a piece of
        steel to lift the load out, there really is no substitute for the real
        thing. The one thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that
        the reason rail wagons and locomotives remain on the tracks is there weight,
        all too often most modellers don't add enough weight to rollingstock, which
        means there rollingstock will always derail easily because there isn't
        enough weight to make it stay on track, likewise locomotives not having
        enough weight cannot pull because they simply don't have the traction or
        grip on the rails to be able to pull.
        You can buy all types of magnets from this website, I have dealt with them
        before and they are very prompt with there service.
        <http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=31>
        Brian
        Qld. Aust.

      • clausoggitte@nielsen.mail.dk
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012

          Hi Brian
          Thanks a lot for your input. I did try the cling film, but I wasn’t able to avoid the gap between load and skip. So now my skips are permanently loaded.

          Regarding the weight you are quite right, but with a full load of gravel I wasn’t sure the amount of weight in the skip frame was enough to ensure safe running.

        • Vince Bradley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012

            Claus,

            I have had the same problem with cling wrap and now directly fill my skips.  There are gaps and soon the gravel breaks away since the base isn’t firm.

            Vincent