Re: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown)

  • William Uffelman
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2011
      Does it have a trolley pole on an elevated stand on the roof? Cute is an apt description.

      Bill Uffelman
      Las Vegas NV

                I think it's a vertical boilered loco. I've found it in a German (which I can't read) forum in a thread about closed steam tramway locos.

                              Baniel

        From: daniel caso <d.caso@...>
        To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

      • William Uffelman
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2011
          I wondered that too -- there is some "structure" showing on the roof.

          Bill Uffelman

          From: daniel caso <d.caso@...>
          To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

        • Vince Bradley
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011

            I would vote for a vertical boilered steam dummy.  The guy in the rear is the fireman and it looks like there is a whistle and a chimney on the roof.

            Vincent

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
              Not with those trucks, methinks.

              John Le Forestier,
              Littleton and Smallville Railroad, now on Google maps, Toronto
              http://tinyurl.com/gardenrailroad

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                John:
                          Do you mean the absence of side rods ?
                          It could be chain driven.
                          Also, I don't see any reason to think it is an electric loco.

                                        Daniel

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                  Yes, primarily, and also the abence of real evidence of a chimney.  The post on the roof might support a trolleypole.   Chain drives, gear drives, and other exotic mechanisms are certainly a possibility, Daniel, but I'm inclined to support the simplest and most likely explanation first.

                  The body style looks American to me, and if so, in America I would expect an electric drive to be the most likely thing, especially given the pair of swivel trucks below.  Mind you they are inside-framed trucks, and that is an unusual thing, though not unheard-of, on an American vehicle, too.

                  The notion that the man at the rear is a fireman is interesting, but I don't see any real evidence in support of it.

                  There are lots of possibilities - more questions than answers here, aren't there!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                    John:
                             Well, I went back to the German forum and (don't ask me how) found the thread again.
                    Here the link to the thread which is 37 pages but even not understanding one word German it offers plenty to see:
                                          http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=262

                        You will find that loco at page 33

                    But it's steam as you'll see if you scroll down here:

                                       Daniel

                    From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                  • jerry via FMW.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                      Daniel,

                      The San Francisco and Northwestern Railway was part of the forerunner railways that made up the NWP. I have run up the branch that the steam dummy was photographed on, I fear still on the same rails. As far as I know there are no other pictures that have surfaced on the little car.

                      The little museum that was at Alton has been closed for many years now after the owner died.

                      Jerry

                      From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                      Jerry Kitts
                      Foothill Model Works
                      Visit our web site at
                      (707) 459-5587

                    • John Le Forestier
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                        Well, well... live and learn.  Thanks, Daniel.

                        From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                        Jerry Kitts
                        Foothill Model Works
                        Visit our web site at
                        (707) 459-5587

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                          John:
                                   Thank you. I've learnt exactly the same today!

                                               Daniel

                          From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                          Jerry Kitts
                          Foothill Model Works
                          Visit our web site at
                          (707) 459-5587
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                            Jerry:

                                   Must be great to be able to remember such experiences.
                                   Thank you for sharing.

                            From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                            Jerry Kitts
                            Foothill Model Works
                            Visit our web site at
                            (707) 459-5587
                          • John Le Forestier
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                              And that little steam dummy is a beauty, isn't she?  So, who's thinking of making a model?

                                                                                                                                               ... Anyone?

                              From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                              Jerry Kitts
                              Foothill Model Works
                              Visit our web site at
                              (707) 459-5587

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011

                                John:

                                     Sure she is!

                                     It don´t fit in my current French proyect but who knows?
                                     May be some day.

                                                           Daniel

                                From: daniel caso <d.caso@...> Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] (unknown) To: "FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com" <FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

                                Jerry Kitts