PORTABLE TRACK

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
      Hi all:

      In my album FCALV Models SECOND ROUND you'll find some pictures of some of the new track laying tools.

      Sadly I did break the staff of the track bender when trying to strighten it (it came a bit curved). Later I've found that is very easy to do that without risks by warming the print in hot water for a few seconds.

      I've mounted the tools on a rough improvised skip (the boards are not even glued) on a Wrightlines frame.

      This set of tools will be one of the many things coming before the end of the year through FCALV Models.

      I didn;'t weathered the tools yet but will do soon and will post pictures when done.

      This is all 1/32 scale.

      Most of the tools in this and other sets are made from O&K drawings but some will be from Jung and Henschell prototypes.

      Among the things to come are also plenty of hand tools.

      The problem of surfaces showing traces of the print layers don't show here at all. The people at Shapeways has been so kind to arrabge things so the only traces are at the underside.

      I hope ypou like it.

      Daniel
    • Hans Hammarsten
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
        Hi Daniel
        Put me up for those items, I sure like them!

        Regards
        Hans

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
          Hans:

              As you know you must have a little patience. There are plenty of other things coming so you will have a lot to chose. I think by the end of November we'll be starting sales.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
            Daniel:
            I can wait for this goodies :-)

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2011
              Hans:

                    SAME HERE!!!!

                                  #:-)

                                         Daniel

            • clausoggitte@nielsen.mail.dk
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2011

                Hello Daniel

                Great looking stuff you have posted. Especially the wooden jack is a wonder. I’m quite sure you can sell quite a few of them to the military guys modelling pre WW2 in 1:35. I build a WW1 model now and then and have always found it odd that no wooden jacks were produced.

                Like Hans I’m sure I could become a steady purchaser of your stuff. I can wait a long time for your range of products to become available, so don’t be in a rush. I have several projects on my worktable, so I’m in no danger of getting bored.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Claus:

                       Thank you. Yes, it is also for me hard to wait. It feels a bit as being pregnant!!!

                                                                                                                                      #:-)

                       At the moment I am working on an operating wagon tipper to go with the mine tubs. Just I can't make the last details until I've received the other 3D printed tubs.

                                 Daniel

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Hi all:

                    In the old album "PORTABLE TRACK first try" I have posted some new pictures showing the "cosmetic" version of the sleepers in a pile of heavy weathered tracks.

                    They are not ready yet. I am using the salt method and the pictures were taken after the second layer of paint. Later I added another two but something went wrong with my camera or my computer and I am unable to upload more pictures. I hope I will solve that tomorrow.
                    The rails are code 83. The sleepers are the "cosmetic" version with a completely hollow underside. Afterwards I see they would be o.k for "real" track. They are not as strong as the ones with reinforcements at the underside but oncer glued on the basebord they will be perfect.
                    Tomorrow, once the last paint layer is dry, I will do the final detail with dry pastels. I hope I will be able to post then more pictures.

                    Daniel
                  • Geoff Potter
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                      Daniel,

                      these look fantastic!

                      This is a compliment.

                      Down, dirty, rusty grungy, neglected...stuck away in the back corner of a mine for years.

                      Great work,

                      regards

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Geoff:

                             Thank you. But wait until you see the pictures of the finished track.

                             I've been delaying building a new layout for years because I wanted it with these trapezoidal metal sleepers. I did all kind of experiments but didn't found a way until now. Now I have at  least about 140 sleepers, enough for a first module. Saddly I must discard the wrong printed ones. And ordering more will be as buying a lotery number: I can't know if they will come as the good ones or the terrible ones.
                        But I supose I will take the risk at least to have enough for the French village project.
                              Underway are also some small portable turntables and other nice things. But again, I don't know if they will come in an acceptable quality or not. We'll see.

                                             Daniel

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                          Wow Daniel!,

                          The track panels look fantastic!,
                          Would look brilliant with some grass growing up through the stack, and around it :)

                          Cheers,
                          Nathan Badcock
                          --------------------------
                          "Lune River" - 32n2

                          "Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may very well be an on-coming train! ;)"

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                            Nathan:

                                 Thank you. Yes, that is the idea.

                                 Now I can't wait to start building "real" track. I like a lot more code 83 than code 100 for this type of track but the rail I used for this was the last one I had. I will try to get some more tomorrow so I can go further with the "real" track.
                                 Now it is all about (un)patience: I am waitng for the turntables so I can really start laying track.
                                 I have also ready the drawings for the rotary tippler, the ironwork for wooden mine wagons and a portable switch.

                                The only problem is being my eyes. When I was drilling the holes in the rail ends I wasn't able to see even the drill. So it was woking blind. Now in the pictures I see some of the holes are not in place.
                            This worries me. I am thinking about -sorry for the heresy- jumping to 16mm scale. At the other hand, all this stuff works as a provocation to stay by 1/32. We'll see.

                                             Daniel

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                              Daniel...

                              I also have eyesight that is starting to fade. But even as a young man, I have always used Optivisors for magnification. They come in several strengths, using a number system. I have one of each I've collected over the years, I looked and it seems as I'm using a #7 now which is pretty strong. They go up to a #10 and as low as a 2 or so and even have a clip-on loupe for seeing things at the atomic level. I couldn't find the official site, but Amazon has them on sale. <http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IQC0S> I have tried every brand / kind I could get my hands on and keep coming back to the Optivisors. I'm sure this will start a whole new thread as every one has their own likes in the matter, that's why I appended the subject line.

                              As long as I'm rambling on... scale is such a relative thing. Whether I'm building in Z or 1/2" scale, I'm always going to model the smallest detail I can see and have the dexterity for. In Z, I'm happy to have a nicely proportioned window. In 1/2" people like Chuck Doan are modeling the caulking in the windows and using real nails for nail heads. This is not true for everyone, I know people who switch to a larger scale so they can avoid any small stuff and this works for them. However, I sense that you, as I do, get sucked in to the most detail you can accomplish in any scale.

                              BTW I can't leave without giving you props for all the fine work you are doing! And thanks so much for sharing.

                              Richard L. Gardner from New Orleans

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
                                Richard:

                                            Most probably you are right and it is just the illussion of seeing more/better.
                                            It is prety frustrating not to be able to use any kind of small n.b.w. or rivets just because I never can see the holes!
                                            To be honest: I never have a clear idea of what I've done until I see enlarged pictures of it.
                                            The bad news is I've used an optivisor for years and still have it but stopped using it because it started giving me a headache when I use it for mor than a couple of minutes. I also have on my workbench one of those huge magnifier lamps with a circular tl lamp but it has the same effect on me.