FOWLER CRANE

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 1:17 AM
      Hans:
      Thank you for your answer and the drawing.
      Yes, I think it is set of gears one can set in for heavier work.But how is it actualy working?
      I've made a 3D drawing and posted pictures of it and of another Fowler crane (See Fowler Crane album) that seems to have the same mechanism. It looks as the axle with the two cranks can slide for setting in the second gear arrangement. But I'm not sure and would like your and other's opinions so the model can be as accurate as possible.
      Thank you.

      Daniel
    • jerry via FMW.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 9:09 AM
        Daniel,

        Our steam donkeys at the museum all work the way you are describing. The gears slide back and forth to change gears from low to high or the other way around. While our brake is one big band of steel the arm you are looking at is most likely a brake, I can think of no other reason for it.

        Jerry

        On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Daniel wrote:

        Hans:
        Thank you for your answer and the drawing.
        Yes, I think it is set of gears one can set in for heavier work.But how is it actualy working?
        I've made a 3D drawing and posted pictures of it and of another Fowler crane (See Fowler Crane album) that seems to have the same mechanism. It looks as the axle with the two cranks can slide for setting in the second gear arrangement. But I'm not sure and would like your and other's opinions so the model can be as accurate as possible.
        Thank you.

        Daniel

        Jerry Kitts
        Foothill Model Works
        Visit our web site at
        (707) 459-5587

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 9:22 AM
          Jerry:

              Thank you.
              So do you think the gear arrangament I draw is ok?

             After posting the second pair of Fowler pictures I noticed  in the second crane there are several diferent things: the pair of cranks are not at the front axle but at the rear one (the one with the brake wheel). Also there is a vertical bar between the two frames and I have no idea what could be it's function. Last, being the cranls at the rear axle, how do you do for sliding the fore axle to change gears?

              Thank you again.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 9:33 AM
            Daniel,

            The drawing looks good, the vertical bar is probably what is used to slide the gears back and forth. That is the way it works on a donkey engine. There is no way that you could just push the axle back and forth without some kind of leverage. Even after we have run our donkeys all day and have them lose again, I must actually stand on some of the manual pedals to get them to move. Without the four foot lever arm to move the gears I am sure it could not be done just pushing a gear. And that is without a load on the gears.

            I think that the way of the early machines work is very similar from country to country.

            What program are you using for 3D drawing?

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 12:07 PM
              Jerry:

                     Great. Thank you.
                     Could you post a simple sketch of how the vertical bar joins the mechanism?

                     The crazy thing is I don't see any traces os such a device in the first crane.

                     My drawing program is Sketchip PRO. (not the free version). I was a bit disapointed on it -so far that was at the point of buying another CAD program- because found impossible to do several specifi things but now I am learning more and see just everything can be done with it. So the linitations weren't Sketchup's but mine.