Beer wagon progress

  • clausoggitte@nielsen.mail.dk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2011

      All:

      Continuing my construction of a 1:35 scale beer wagon on 16,5 mm track, I have progressed to clad the soldered brass frame in plastic. The floor is 0,5 mm plastic card and this was in turn covered with 1:35 etched brass tread plate from the military modelling trade (Aber, set PP09). The frame’s profile is plastic U-profile 5 mm in height. The method of construction is a direct copy of one described by Dennis Harrison in his articles on the Towey Valley Railway in the ‘Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review’.

      Next stage is details and adjustment of bogie mountings. Last is painting (and of course finishing the 36 bloody boring beer crates with painting, home designed decals and weathering). You’ll probably see the wagon fitted with an interim beer crate-replacement load first…

      Usually images can be found on Flickr:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/5972698329/in/set-72157626988354773

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/5995211296/in/set-72157626988354773/

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2011
        Claus:

            That looks very good. Can't wait to see it finished and painted!
            The beer crates look also great.

                    Daniel

        Continuing my construction of a 1:35 scale beer wagon on 16,5 mm track, I have progressed to clad the soldered brass frame in plastic. The floor is 0,5 mm plastic card and this was in turn covered with 1:35 etched brass tread plate from the military modelling trade (Aber, set PP09). The frame’s profile is plastic U-profile 5 mm in height. The method of construction is a direct copy of one described by Dennis Harrison in his articles on the Towey Valley Railway in the ‘Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review’.

        Next stage is details and adjustment of bogie mountings. Last is painting (and of course finishing the 36 bloody boring beer crates with painting, home designed decals and weathering). You’ll probably see the wagon fitted with an interim beer crate-replacement load first…

        Usually images can be found on Flickr:

      • henrik laurell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2011
          Hi Claus,

          Looks great!

          Where is the flooring from ?

          /Henrik

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2011
            Was it really 50 bottles in each crate ? Must be rather big n heavy crates when loaded..

            I remember our bottle crates in Sweden was always for 4*6=24 bottles, but nowdays the PET bottles and alu cans seems to have taken over..

            /Henrik

            --

            /Henrik

          • clausoggitte@nielsen.mail.dk
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2011
              Henrik:
              The visible, brass floor is made from etched brass tread plate from Polish manufacturer Aber. The set is available as set no. PP09. I purchased mine from Jadar Hobby in Warsaw. Online store available on http://www.jadarhobby.pl/index.php?currency=USD&language=en The flooring took 2½ sets. A cheaper method could be to use packing band that carries a tread plate pattern. If it is available in a very wide version that could be an alternative.

              And yes, Danish beer crates used to hold 50 glass bottles of beer in the old days. Must have been back breakingly heavy. Now a days I can manage two plastic crates of 30 beers each. Thinking of wooden crates that would soak up water and 40 % more content makes me sweat!

            • henrik laurell