7958Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Tailor Creek Tramway

    Mar 2, 2010

          The method I use is as follow:

      1) Make a bundle with enough strands (straight from the roll, so no untwisting) to form the
          main trunk as thick as you want.
          Keep in mind you'll cover it later with plaster or latex so the trunk will be a couple of
          mm thicker when finished.

      2) Embed the trunk in white glue/water and fasten it with a couple of temporary wires to
          avoid the strands falling apart. (More water means slower drying)

      3) When dried enough (it takes a few minutes) divide the "top" of the truck in three, four or
          five bundles to form the main branches. Then proceed as with the trunk.

      4) Repeat this on each branch so to progressively form more thinner branches until you
          reach the end of the sisal.

      5) Untwisting the sisal is just needed at the last, thinner branches.

      Because using wire at the smaller branches splits was too slow and boring, I opted for using small clamps. This -depending on the power of the clamps- will flatten a bit the sisal, but once half dired one can correct it by removing the clamps and forming it properly with the finger tops.

      I didn't cared much about the shape of the whole until it was half dried. I concentrated first on getting enough branches. When half dried it was easy to form it but to let it dry completely in the shape I wanted I needed to use pieces of wire holding the brances in the desired position.

      Since I'll be making many 1/35 scale trees, I am thinking about building a special device to speed up the process. Once I have completed the design I will ad to the album 3D drawings and photos of my "treemakingmachine".

      Oh,yes: I formed the "roots" by simply bending the lower end of the trunk strands.

      No need of any kind of skeleton. The tree is strong but very light so may be directly glued (again white glue) to the baseboard. Of course one may always put a wood dowel or something else in the middle of the trunk when forming it so it can be "planted' in a hole in the baseboard. This will be certainly needed if the tree is too asymmetric (out of balance).

            Dear Woodie: don't even try it!!!
            If you do, the nicest Oak will look as a weeping pillow after the first rain at Mogollon!!!