7739Re: SV: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: My first plaster casting...

    Jan 4, 2010
      Hans:

             Nice work.
             Of course you need to build up some experience but once painted, weathered and dressed up with some detail your castings will come up very good.

             I have made some plaster castings years ago and found adding  common white glue to the water when preparing the plaster gave it a lot of more strength.
             I was making retaining walls for a 0e layout and because they were going to be part of 60cm moving wall they must be light and strong but also very thin. I've made a pattern in wood and got a mould from it with liquid latex. To be sure in case the very thin walls (3mm at the top  going to 10mm in three steps) break the parts wouldn't  be lost I laid a piece of cloth on the top of the just poured plaster. Due to the white glue this dried as part of the casting.
       That was more than 15 years ago. The modular layout has been moved -very roughly- many times but none of the castings show any trace of damage yet.
        The only  point is that white glue makes the castings less porous so stains will work not so nice as on the pure plaster.

         One thing I've learnt from that experience is to avoid scribing horizontal full length lines for stones. This makes them fitting too perfect to each other what makes -as you'll see at the pictures- a bit unrealistic.

        After removing the castings from the mould I broke some stones, deepened some lines and made other details to individualize them a bit. (It is amazing how destroying a too obvious repetition works!).

        For making the pattern  I've built up the volume with three layers of ply and scribed  the stones with a Dremel moto tool. Then glued the whole on a bigger piece of ply and surrounded it with stripwood so to form a kind of box. Then coated the pattern with kitchen oil -the onlyu one I had at that moment- and poured the liquid latex.
        The column was made from a piece of wood too. One casting included a section of retaining wall and a column.
        I have lost the mould but I casted some 20 pieces without problems.
        For the lower walls at the top I just cut some of the same castings to fit.

        You will find the photos in a new album in a moment.

                          Daniel

      Från: Robin <robinstrains@ gmail.com>
      Ämne: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: My first plaster casting...
      Till: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Datum: söndag 3 januari 2010 21.09

      Hi Hans, is this plaster of paris, or some other material like wall filler which can be purchased at a local hardware store?
      A few years ago I tried with a premade light wall filler over a wooden frame,which once dried was quite hard to engrave/inscribe random stone on to. I have never compleated it.I'll add a couple of photographs of it one of these days.
      for your first try you did a good job.I am not too good at this stuff how did you make your mold.
      Regards,
      Robin.

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, Hans Hammarsten <hanshammarsten2002 @...> wrote:

      > Hi to You all on this new 2010.
      > Just did my first casting in plaster for my loco shed
      > it's a near (very near) copy of Marcel Ackle's loco shop in G scale,
      > You my find it at  http://www.feldbahn -modellbau. ch/
      > I just loved it and thought I should give it a go on that one.
      >
      > My first casting didn't work like I wanted it to, my way was the wrong way.
      > I thought I could do a print out of an mirror image of my drawing, and draw lines with a collored pen and cast directly on to that one, but that didnt work. But to rescue my first casting I starded carving away on it
      > And I think it will work.
      > I put in some pictures in my Photo file " A Test shot..."
      >
      > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/FS32NGMode lrail/photos/ album/1077924025 /pic/list
      >
      > Best regards to you all.
      > Hans Hammarsten

      > Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo.
      > Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här:
      > http://www.kelkoo. se/c-169901- resor-biljetter. html?partnerId= 96914052

      Sök efter kärleken!
      Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic. yahoo.net