5872Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: More Laser cut photos

    Jul 2, 2008
      Daniel-if you want to sell kits, I say "go for it"...however, doing so may be bad for your personal hobby. I did not manufacture kits, but I did have a profitable custom building business many years ago and (maybe it was just me) the pursuit of money for my modeling led me to about a 15 year burn out. No trains, I sold everything I had and got totally out of the hobby. Whatever advances went on during those years didn't interest me, I just didn't have "the feeling" that I used to. I have known a couple of other modelers who got into the model railroad business and lost their desire to mess with model trains. Now, a good friend of mine builds and sells (for a great deal of money) 1:20.3 rolling stock...and he has virtually no time to build anything else, he has some On30 stuff, but no time for what he wants to do. Doing something for the love of it is one thing, but doing something for money tends to destroy the "magic". This is of course my opinion, whatever you do, I wish you the best and as they say in Hollywood-"break a leg!"
                 Woodie

      Paul Woods <paulandclaire@...> wrote:
      Daniel

      All my local laser cutting companies are involved in making
      advertising signs or engraving things like trophies, or both. You
      could even try contacting an electrical installation firm to ask
      where they have their warning signs and labels made, (The stiff
      plastic ones you see rivetted to big switchboards) quite often they
      are laser-cut these days, so they might be able to point the way.

      Making a living selling any type of kit is the challenge, it is not
      just restricted to laser cut types ;-)

      Regards
      Paul

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, daniel caso <d.caso@...>
      wrote:
      > Now what I need is finding someone able to laser cut my drawings
      here in Holland. Argentina is O.K.  but the posting costs and the
      sending risks are too high and would double the prices.Also i would
      like to find a better material than MDF. It works good for the
      coaches and windows, but for tiny objects I am not sure.

      >                             Daniel

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic