4866Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Questions for this Group.................

  • Martin Field
    Jun 2, 2007
      Tom, nice to hear from you, I've read a lot about your work and a very good friend who knows it thinks highly of it, which is praise indeed.
      I know your problem, having been in the same position of wondering what would sell.  I've never been able to get one-off work for the mythical rich guys that Mike South talks about and my recent efforts to interest the group in some castings of axleboxes and useful bits have fallen on deaf ears, or maybe there just aren't enough modellers of British narrow gauge in 1/32nd scale, even though that's where things began.
      Your problem with European prototypes would be the enormous variety of appearance throughout the continent.  German Feldbahnen und Smallspurbahnen all look like they just fell out of a Fleischman box.  The real thing really is black with scarlet wheels and enormous. I saw one of the Hartz mountain trains puffing through the forest near Braunschweig and it was impressive, but hardly "charming".  Iknow little of the French systems assuming as I did that they'd all fallen apart, like most French villages.  If you want really delightful narrow gauge the British lines are a sure bet.  The Ffestiniog has become the Coca-Cola of NG, a victim of its own success, but is still an amazing achievement and they also have the truly impressive Welsh Highland Railway going out the other end of Porthmadog.  They're running Garretts like they're two-a-penny.  The Talyllyn is still wonderfully bucolic and for those who want industrial on a grand scale the old Penrhyn Quarry Railway had a hell of an operation with some interesting stock, now dispersed all over the country. I have some drawings for that if you're interested.  We also had dozens of agricultural lines with all manner of weird and wonderful locos.  Then, for a Gn15 fan like you are all the estate railways.  Don't forget, it all started here.  Maybe we could do a joint project.  I like to originate, you have the production sorted out.  Mail me off group if you like.
      Cheers, Martin

      Tom Yorke <tomyorke@...> wrote:
      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@ ...> wrote:

      > Tom-I am familiar with your work and I am sure that whatever you would like to offer
      would be great. It seems that most of the fellows here build "Euro" prototype, but a critter
      is a critter anywhere. My buddies and I build funky mining equipment based on twenty
      inch and twenty four inch gauge prototypes and would welcome most anything. If you do a
      US type loco, you might consider parts that would convert available On30 locos. We have
      found that Bachmann's stuff "upscales" nicely. and operates well so maybe an idea there.
      Freight cars would be nice, probably 4 wheel types. Structures would be welcome also,
      small ones might be more popular than some of the stuff I build (smelters, business,
      enginehouses, etc.). Of course there is always a need for "junk" and "clutter". I hope this
      helps you out. Now, I may not be the guy who will make a manufacturer rich since I love to
      scratchbuild most everything, but who knows? Detail parts and auto & truck conversion
      kits would really
      > interest me however. You can look at my meager efforts in the photos section-
      Mogollon Railway in Texas. For me, 1:32 scale is "where it's at" after building in most every
      scale known to civilized man.
      > Woodie C Greene

      Woodie,
      I certainly wouldn't say your efforts were meager. I love what you've done. Lots of
      character. If I wasn't so far along in Gn15, I'd probably go the 1/32 route myself.

      It is difficult to make a living from this business. I started way back in the mid 70's. The
      two jobs I have had over the years were my own business and Disney. One led to the other
      and back again. However, my work with Disney is over because they insist on the
      computer as the only tool. I like working with a pencil. That's an oversimplification of
      course, but it works out in the end as no more work from them. So, I am on my own again.
      Miniatures are the only thing that's left for me. Don't get me wrong here. I love the work! I
      am never at a loss for ideas. Time is the enemy. Over the years though, model railroading
      has changed. There are many, many reasons for this, but it still boils down to fewer sales.
      I must search out new areas and new things to produce. The On30 market is really not
      where it is at for me any more. I try to satisfy myself with Gn15. That market is very
      limited too, but it is what I personally model in. I like the funkyness of it. Along the way I
      discovered European railroads. I used to hate them. The small feldbahns captured my
      attention for whatever reason and now I'm hooked. My Gn15 "stuff" reflects this although I
      mix in American prototypes. An island railroad was what I settled on. The best of both
      worlds plus lots of color.

      But back to manufacturing. I must do so to keep from living in a box under thr freeway. I
      don't think my wife would go for that. So, I'm looking to expand into different areas and
      scales. There are a lot of nice 1/32 autos and trucks around for not too much money.
      Makes them easy to bash. Anyway, I'm here asking this group what they'd like. I love
      designing things and as I've said, I have no shortage of ideas. That's why I am asking this
      group these questions. I know no model is going to satisfy everyone. We all have our likes
      and dislikes, but I hope I can do some stuff for you guys. The offer is out there.

      I am working on some parts for those 1/32 scale autos. I have a design for a nice little
      stuccoed station with tile roof that would be great in 1/32 scale. I have no problem doing
      European style structures or perhaps Spanish. I just want to hear from members of this
      group. I need your thoughts and ideas.

      Thanks for your comments thus far. Please keep them coming.

      Tom