4865Re: Questions for this Group.................

  • Tom Yorke
    Jun 1, 2007
      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@...> wrote:
      > Tom-I am familiar with your work and I am sure that whatever you would like to offer
      would be great. It seems that most of the fellows here build "Euro" prototype, but a critter
      is a critter anywhere. My buddies and I build funky mining equipment based on twenty
      inch and twenty four inch gauge prototypes and would welcome most anything. If you do a
      US type loco, you might consider parts that would convert available On30 locos. We have
      found that Bachmann's stuff "upscales" nicely. and operates well so maybe an idea there.
      Freight cars would be nice, probably 4 wheel types. Structures would be welcome also,
      small ones might be more popular than some of the stuff I build (smelters, business,
      enginehouses, etc.). Of course there is always a need for "junk" and "clutter". I hope this
      helps you out. Now, I may not be the guy who will make a manufacturer rich since I love to
      scratchbuild most everything, but who knows? Detail parts and auto & truck conversion
      kits would really
      > interest me however. You can look at my meager efforts in the photos section-
      Mogollon Railway in Texas. For me, 1:32 scale is "where it's at" after building in most every
      scale known to civilized man.
      > Woodie C Greene

      I certainly wouldn't say your efforts were meager. I love what you've done. Lots of
      character. If I wasn't so far along in Gn15, I'd probably go the 1/32 route myself.

      It is difficult to make a living from this business. I started way back in the mid 70's. The
      two jobs I have had over the years were my own business and Disney. One led to the other
      and back again. However, my work with Disney is over because they insist on the
      computer as the only tool. I like working with a pencil. That's an oversimplification of
      course, but it works out in the end as no more work from them. So, I am on my own again.
      Miniatures are the only thing that's left for me. Don't get me wrong here. I love the work! I
      am never at a loss for ideas. Time is the enemy. Over the years though, model railroading
      has changed. There are many, many reasons for this, but it still boils down to fewer sales.
      I must search out new areas and new things to produce. The On30 market is really not
      where it is at for me any more. I try to satisfy myself with Gn15. That market is very
      limited too, but it is what I personally model in. I like the funkyness of it. Along the way I
      discovered European railroads. I used to hate them. The small feldbahns captured my
      attention for whatever reason and now I'm hooked. My Gn15 "stuff" reflects this although I
      mix in American prototypes. An island railroad was what I settled on. The best of both
      worlds plus lots of color.

      But back to manufacturing. I must do so to keep from living in a box under thr freeway. I
      don't think my wife would go for that. So, I'm looking to expand into different areas and
      scales. There are a lot of nice 1/32 autos and trucks around for not too much money.
      Makes them easy to bash. Anyway, I'm here asking this group what they'd like. I love
      designing things and as I've said, I have no shortage of ideas. That's why I am asking this
      group these questions. I know no model is going to satisfy everyone. We all have our likes
      and dislikes, but I hope I can do some stuff for you guys. The offer is out there.

      I am working on some parts for those 1/32 scale autos. I have a design for a nice little
      stuccoed station with tile roof that would be great in 1/32 scale. I have no problem doing
      European style structures or perhaps Spanish. I just want to hear from members of this
      group. I need your thoughts and ideas.

      Thanks for your comments thus far. Please keep them coming.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic