4467Re: [FS32NGModelrail] 1:35 "Naworth"

  • vsons@aol.com
    Sep 6, 2006
      In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:02:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jh_afman@... writes:
      Of course you al know that two
      component epoxyresin glue does'nt stick to polystyrene.
      It has worked for me in the past.  It is the greasy polyethylene (often used in toys, and in soft figures such as the Airfix/Matchbox military offerings) that has always given me problems.
       Can anyone
      tell me how to glue metal (brass nuts) to polystyrene.
      If it is indeed polystyrene (typical material of plastic models, and white sheet stock from Evergreen or Plastruct (their grey is ABS, IIRC)), you should be able to use either CA adhesive or a rubber-based adhesive such as Walthers "Goo".  I am a bit of a Luddite, and prefer the Goo instead of the newfangled (for the last 10-15 years or longer) CA.  The Goo never attaches my fingers together.  The CA seems to be preferred by most modelers, and it would probably have the least problem with excess material squeezing out around the detail parts being glued on.  The CA is much faster, which is an advantage if you want the work to progress quickly, and a disadvantage if you want time to adjust the position of the part.  There is a slower-curing CA (which also has a bit more body for filling gaps), which was recommended for a model boat kit I built and which worked wonderfully, but the nozzle tended to clog up horribly.

      Jeff Semprebon
      Claremont, NH
      USA

      The greatest lie is that there is no hope.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic