4080Re: Diorama photolink - painting method

  • Arnoud Bongaards
    Mar 17, 2005
      Les,

      I forgot to add that sanding in the end to get the highlights allso
      can be done by scraping (whith a hobbyknife) That works great too...

      gr Arnoud

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Les Coleman"
      <les.coleman@w...> wrote:
> [...]
      > 1:24 but your method is so obviously the way to go in 1:35. Thanks
      for
      > the very full explanation.
      >

      > Les.
      >
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > The method i used on the wood is:
      > First shape and mechanicly weather the balsa- or other modelling
      > wood. Sand it down really well with very fine paper.
      >
      > Then paint it white with thinned (milky) acrylic paint. Let it dry.
      > Maybe if it isn't totally white do it again. First gently sand away
      > any upstanding woodfibres or splinters. They tend to get up when
      the
      > wood gets wet.
      >
      > Then wash with different shades of brown and black oilpaint.
      > The oils must be heavily thinned with a good thinner.
      > Start with light (yellow)browns for new wood, light brown, darker
      > brown and in the end eventually wash with black for weathered wood.
      > Wipe away excess thinned paint with a cloth.
      > You have to experiment with colours, thinning etc..
      >
      > Then highlight the planks and beams or sleepers.
      > Very lightly sand again with very fine paper, just enough to make
      the
      > white undercoat visable at (the) edges. Be carefull: if the
      original
      > wood comes through the effect is ruined.
      >
      > Plastic wood imitation can be painted in the same way.
      >
      > Have fun!
      >
      > Thanks and regards,
      >
      > Arnoud
      >
      > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/my_photos
      >
      > http://www.decauville.nl
      >

      > Sand itand Paint--- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter
      > Ehrlin" <ehrpet@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Arnoud!
      > >
      > > Thanks for sharing your photos. Great weathering techniques. I
      > > especially like the wood planking parts. Have to try and copy
      that.

      > > Keep on posting!
      > >
      > > //
      > > Peter Ehrlin
      > >

      > > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Arnoud Bongaards"
      > > <a67b@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
      > > > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven
      > ramming
      > > > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
      > > > buildingsite.
      > > >
      > > > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
      > > paintwork
      > > > was undertaken....
      > > > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
      > > > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in
      > some
      > > > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
      > > challenge...
      > > >
      > > > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
      > > > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will
      > find
      > > > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.

      Service.

      > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
      System.

      are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email
      us.
      > Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden
      District Council unless stated.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic