4079[FS32NGModelrail] Re: Diorama photolink - painting method

  • Les Coleman
    Mar 17 9:11 AM
      That's a method I must try Arnoud. The results are excellent! I've
      always tried to use stained/weathered real wood in the larger scale of
      1:24 but your method is so obviously the way to go in 1:35. Thanks for
      the very full explanation.

      Les.
      >>> a67b@... 16/03/05 19:09:07 >>>

      Hi Peter,

      The method i used on the wood is:
      First shape and mechanicly weather the balsa- or other modelling
      wood. Sand it down really well with very fine paper.

      Then paint it white with thinned (milky) acrylic paint. Let it dry.
      Maybe if it isn't totally white do it again. First gently sand away
      any upstanding woodfibres or splinters. They tend to get up when the
      wood gets wet.

      Then wash with different shades of brown and black oilpaint.
      The oils must be heavily thinned with a good thinner.
      Start with light (yellow)browns for new wood, light brown, darker
      brown and in the end eventually wash with black for weathered wood.
      Wipe away excess thinned paint with a cloth.
      You have to experiment with colours, thinning etc..

      Then highlight the planks and beams or sleepers.
      Very lightly sand again with very fine paper, just enough to make the
      white undercoat visable at (the) edges. Be carefull: if the original
      wood comes through the effect is ruined.

      Plastic wood imitation can be painted in the same way.

      Have fun!

      Thanks and regards,

      Arnoud

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/my_photos

      http://www.decauville.nl

      Sand itand Paint--- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter
      Ehrlin" <ehrpet@s...> wrote:

      > Hi Arnoud!
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your photos. Great weathering techniques. I
      > especially like the wood planking parts. Have to try and copy that.
      >
      > Keep on posting!
      >
      > //
      > Peter Ehrlin
      >

      > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Arnoud Bongaards"
      > <a67b@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
      > > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven
      ramming
      > > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
      > > buildingsite.
      > >
      > > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
      > paintwork
      > > was undertaken....
      > > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
      > > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in
      some
      > > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
      > challenge...
      > >
      > > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
      > > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will
      find
      > > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.
      > > Still a lot of work to do!
      > >
      > > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/album?.dir=/86d4&.src=ph
      > >
      > > Greetings from Holland,
      > >
      > > Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam,
      > > http://www.decauville.nl

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
      Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District Council unless stated.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic