      Van: jerry via FMW.com <jerrykitts@...>
      Aan: FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com
      Verzonden: maandag 1 augustus 18:09 2011
      Onderwerp: Re: [FS32NGModelrail] FOWLER CRANE

      Daniel,

      Our steam donkeys at the museum all work the way you are describing. The gears slide back and forth to change gears from low to high or the other way around. While our brake is one big band of steel the arm you are looking at is most likely a brake, I can think of no other reason for it.

      Jerry

      On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Daniel wrote:

      Hans:
      Thank you for your answer and the drawing.
      Yes, I think it is set of gears one can set in for heavier work.But how is it actualy working?
      I've made a 3D drawing and posted pictures of it and of another Fowler crane (See Fowler Crane album) that seems to have the same mechanism. It looks as the axle with the two cranks can slide for setting in the second gear arrangement. But I'm not sure and would like your and other's opinions so the model can be as accurate as possible.
      Thank you.

      Daniel

      Jerry Kitts
      Foothill Model Works