Re: [FoP] Favolina china

  • strybel@interia.pl
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
      I can't authoritatively explain it. I can only conjecture. Perhaps more than one American importer, having misread Karolina as Favolina, referred to it as Favolina, and the folks at Jaworzyna Śląska said: 'What the heck -- as far as we're concerend it can be Favolina as long as the Yanks cough up the cash... And so it has remained.'
      Rob Strybel
      Warsaw

      Użytkownik napisał(a):
      > Subject: Re: [FoP] Favolina china
      > To: FRIENDSofPOLAND@yahoogroups.com; FRIENDSofPOLAND@yahoogroups.com;
      >

      > The only problem is that you can find on Internet photos of actual pieces of
      > "favolina" china. They show occasionally also the backside and there-
      > surprise!surprise!- you see printed and baked: "Favolina, Made in Poland".
      > How to explain this?
      > Roman Solecki
      > Union, Connecticut, USA
      > On 23 Oct 2010 at 6:42, strybel@... wrote:
      > Hi Iza,
      > Many dzienks for the info. This is the closest I've seen to unravelling the
      > Favolina mystery. From a lingusitic-orthographic standpoint, in all 3 cases
      > -- Favolina, Karolina and Jarolina -- the -lina ending remains intact.
      > If this was indeed the case (Americans saying Favolina and Germans -
      > Jarolina), then I presume the mid-European 'r' in Karolina was misread by
      > Americans as a 'v'. The fancy handwritten K may have likewise looked like
      > a n 'F'. Such misreading would have been possible if handwritten script, not
      > printed text, was being deciphred by a non-European eye. But why would
      > Germans mistake the Polish captial 'K' for a 'J', when they write it the same
      > way Poles do?
      > BTW are you the former Iza Patyk?
      > Rob Strybel
      > Warsaw
      > Użytkownik napisaÅ(a):
      > > Subject: Re: [FoP] Favolina china
      > > To: FRIENDSofPOLAND@yahoogroups.com;
      > >

      > > Hello All,
      > > You had me curious since I sell Boleslawiec Stoneware but was
      > unfamiliar with Favolina china. I found some information using
      > www.Google.com.pl
      > > The actual manufacturers name is "Zaklady Porcelany Stolowej
      > KAROLINA Sp. z.o.o.". Notice it's Karolina not Favolina. The name has
      > been mispronounced over the years by Americans as "Favolina" and by
      > Germans as "Jarolina". Here's the website I found this at (in Polish) http://www.powiat-swidnicki-dolnoslaskie.info/miejscowosc/Jaworzyna-
      > Slaska,11
      > > Also the firm is located just northwest of Boleslawiec (in Southwest
      > Poland) in Jaworzyna-Slaska.
      > > Here is the link to the webpage of the manufacturer: http://sklep.karolina.info.pl/index.php (in Polish)
      > > But they have nothing on the history of the company. The only thing I
      > have found so far is the obvious, that it dates back to before the war.
      > > I'll keep looking, I'm on a mission now.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Izabella Dabrowski (Austin,TX)

      > Walcz o nagrody z Clear Game
      > GRAJ http://linkint.pl/f2830