Caste and the Census

  • prk1949@googlemail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2010
    Dear Shaji,

    I am attaching my piece from the Sahara Time.

    Best,
    P Radhakrishnan
  • mohammad imran
    Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2010
      Dear Shaji,

      Inclusion of caste in the census is a political consideration based on
      enumerating the income, education and number of persons in each caste
      as compared with the income, education and number of people in the
      whole nation. This enumeration provides a picture of current
      demographics, and if it is carried on in the future it will provide a
      map of how people in the caste groups moved up or down the ladder of
      national integration in India. Politicians and upper caste Hindus,
      Muslims, Sikhs and others do not like to see their dominance eroded
      from politics. They oppose inclusion of caste in census because they
      are afraid they would lose power.

      In the USA census is taken very seriously because the population of
      each state and each city is dependent upon the demographics, that is
      income, educational level and number. The demographics decide how much
      money will be allocated for various activities to the local population
      from the Federal Government and the State Governments. That is the
      direction in which India is also heading, hence counting of each head
      and to which caste it belongs is very important.

      Imran