Abandoned for being a girl, Sonia asks her mother, why?

  • Shaji John K
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2006
      Abandoned for being a girl, Sonia asks her mother, why?
      Express News Service

      Lucknow, July 4: FOR 20 years, she faced the curse of being abandoned
      by her mother because she was a girl. And now, Sonia Nijhawan has gone
      to the State Women's Commission (SWC) demanding `punishment' for her
      mother for abandoning her. She recently tried to commit suicide after
      her mother demanded proof from her for claiming to be her daughter.

      This may sound like the story of a Hindi potboiler, but for this
      20-year-old student of Nari Shiksha Niketan, this has been a reality.
      Sonia Nijhawan met the chairperson of the SWC, Dr Ranjana Bajpai on
      Monday. And her story only ended up surprising not only Dr Bajpai, but
      also all others.

      "I just want to ask my mother that why she abandoned me? Being a girl
      is not my fault," said Sonia. Born to Sunita Dhawan on August 4, 1987,
      Sonia was abandoned by her mother immediatly after her birth. The
      reason - her mother already had two daughters and did not want a third
      one. But luck favoured Sonia and her maternal grandparents and
      maternal uncle decided to take care of her. "She did not even care to
      feed me once, leave alone taking care of me," said Sonia.

      By the time Sonia was 10, she started realising that her `Sunita didi'
      was actually her mother. "My parents tried to convince Sunita didi to
      take back Sonia but she refused," said Sonia's maternal aunt Rajni
      Arora, who accompanied her to the State Women Commission's office.
      Sunita refused to accept Sonia as her daughter.

      Meanwhile, Sonia's uncle got married and her uncle's wife started ill
      treating her. Sonia's aunt Rajni, who too had got married, brought
      Sonia to her house. When Sonia came to know about her real mother, she
      tried to go and meet her. "But instead of accepting me with open arms,
      she threw me out of her house," said Sonia.

      Incidentally, Sonia's mother Sunita has divorced her husband and
      remarried to one Tejendra Dhawan, of whom she has a son. They even
      accused Sonia of coming back to claim her share in her mother's
      property. "I do not want any money. I just want my mother to apologise
      for leaving me and accept me as her daughter. I want her to take care
      of me and also, pay for my studies like she did for my other sisters,"
      said Sonia.

      The chairperson of the commission, Dr Ranjana Bajpai has ordered her
      parents to give her Rs 1,000 each month as maintenance. "I don't want
      money, but just an answer from my mother that why did she abandon me,"
      Sonia said. Her parents have been summoned to the commission on Wednesday.