FW: Meeting with Home Secretary

  • Bhartendu Prakash
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 8:51 AM
      Dear  Friends
      This is for your  perusal
      -Bharatendu Prakash
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bholanath Bhargava [mailto:dr_bhargava@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 9:32 PM
      To: vskbanda@...
      Subject: Fwd: Meeting with Home Secretary

      >From: "Bimal Krsna (das) BCS (Manor - UK)"
      >To: " Dr. Balmukund Bhala" , "anand vyas"
      , "Bipin Patel" , "chin Topiwalla" , "Chunilal Chavda" , "Dharam Vir Dhanda" , "Dr. Bhan" , "Dr. Bhargava" , "Dr. Gautem Sen" , "Dr. Nawal Prinja" , "Gupta Tarsem" , "hasmukh shah" , "kishor ruparelia" , "NHSF" , "pravin ruparelia" , "Ramesh Jhalla" , "Ravi Bhanot" , "saraswati dave" , "Shankar V Tatwawadi" , "Sudarshan Bhatia" , "sunil poshakwale" , "Surender Shah" , "vinoo wadher"
      >Subject: Meeting with Home Secretary
      >Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:10 -0700
      >
      >Meeting with Home Secretary
      >
      >The Home secretary, Mr. David Blunkett, today (29/5/02) met
      representatives
      >of three National Faith organisations - the national Council of
      Hindu
      >Temples (UK), Muslim Council of Britain and Network of Sikh
      Organisations -
      >to discuss the possible repercussions that could take place in
      Britain if a
      >war break out between India and Pakistan.
      >
      >Those present expressed that they were against a war since it
      will be
      >disastrous for both countries. They would rather prefer a
      diplomatic method
      >of resolving the issue.
      >
      >The national Council of Hindu Temples (UK) stressed to the Home
      Secretary
      >the concerns of Hindu community in Britain - safety of
      individuals, attacks
      >on business premises and places of worship etc. The Hindu
      community had
      >suffered greatly in 1992 and would not want have similar
      experiences.

      >The Home secretary replied that he had already notified the
      police in
      >Britain to be more vigilant especially near the places of
      worship. Mr.
      >Blunkett requested the Hindu community to identify problematic
      areas and
      >forward the information to the Home Office.
      >
      >The Home Office will release the following joint statement
      tomorrow:

      >David Blunkett and leaders of the British South Asian communities
      met
      >yesterday to discuss the effect on community relations in the UK
      of current
      >tension between India and Pakistan.
      >
      >They called on British South Asian communities to remain calm and
      urged the
      >governments of India and Pakistan to respond to diplomatic
      pressure to
      >desist from war.
      >
      >The meeting concluded that
      >
      >"Everyone in UK has a duty to ensure that current tensions
      between India and
      >Pakistan do not upset normal good community relations between
      British South
      >Asian communities. We call upon all community leaders to take
      action local
      >tensions and urge restraint in, and between, their communities
      whatever
      >their links with India or Pakistan"
      >
      >Community leaders are to meet with the Foreign Secretary, Jack
      Straw,
      >tomorrow to continue their dialogue with Government
      >

      >The meeting was attended by:
      >Mr. OM Prakash Sharma and Mr. Bimal Krishna das - the national
      Council of
      >Hindu Temples (UK).
      >
      >Mr. Iqbal Sacranie, Cllr. Khan and Mr. Wasti - the Muslim Council
      of Britain

      >Mr. Inderjit Singh and Mr. Mohan Singh - Network of Sikh
      Organisations