Dalit issue highlighted for first time: UNHCR

  • Shaji John K
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
      Repost from Rediff.com

      Dalit issue highlighted for first time: UNHCR
      Sujit Chaterjee in Durban

      The United Nations Human Rights Commission on Tuesday said that
      Dalits of India, for the first time, have had their voices heard at
      the World Conference against Racism.

      "The NGOs have raised what they called discrimination against Dalits
      in India and the issue has been brought before the international
      community," UNHRC chief Mary Robinson said.

      Robinson, who is also the Secretary General of the ongoing World
      Conference Against Racism, lauded the 'principled stand' taken by
      National Human Rights Commission, which opposed the government by
      raising the issue of casteism at the WCAR plenary session on Monday.

      "I congratulate the principled stand taken by the NHRC which stood up
      to help the Dalits and extended moral support," she said.

      She maintained that delegations from across the world had never heard
      about the age-old discrimination based on caste, and the NGOs by
      holding marches and rallies had succeeded in making the world aware
      of this discriminatory practice.

      Dalit NGOs have been demanding that casteism be equated with racism
      in the WCAR final declaration, a move objected to by the official
      Indian delegation, which is being led by Foreign Secretary Chokila
      Iyer.

      The declaration and a programme for action is expected to be adopted
      on September seven.

      Asked about her views on paragraph 73 of the draft declaration,
      seeking to bracket work with descent, which NHRC and the NGOs
      maintain would point to casteism, Robinson said discussions were
      being conducted on the issue by a working group, since certain
      countries wanted its retention in the final document.
    • George Cheriyan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
        Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), business houses and
        individuals are encouraged to sponsor candidates for skill training.

        Dear Sir/Madam,

        Greetings from Schumacher Institute of Appropriate Technology and
        Rural Development (SIAT & RD)!

        I am writing this letter in connection with the commencement of next
        batch of skill training courses at our Institute from the 1st of
        October 2001.

        Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), business houses and
        individuals are encouraged to sponsor candidates for skill training.
        NGOs working at the grass roots level can select needy and interested
        candidates and sponsor their skill training for reasonable cost.

        The Charges* are:

        1. Computer/Electronics/ Electrical trade 6 months Rs 1500/-

        2. General Mechanics/Fitter/Welding 6 months Rs 800/-

        3. Tailoring and Dress Making 6 months Rs 400/-

        4. Spinning/Bag Making 6 months Rs 250/-

        [*The above mentioned amount covers caution deposit (refundable), the
        fee for the application form(Rs.20/-), the fee for optional
        English course (Rs.150/- for six months), the Hostel maintenance
        charges (Rs.150/- for 6 months)only. The food and living expenses are
        extra]

        We welcome donations from individuals, groups and organisations to
        extend scholorships to needy children either directly or through the institute.

        When you contribute to the Institute we assure you that it will be
        used with utmost responsibility. Application forms and further
        details can be collected directly from the Institute during office
        hours with the required form fee (demand draft drawn in favor
        of "Schumacher Institute of Appropriate Technology and Rural
        Development" payable at Lucknow. Rs.20/- per form) and a self
        addressed stamped envelope. Donations also can be paid directly or
        through demand draft. All donations to the institute are exempted
        from income tax under 80(G).

        Also, we request corporate houses and companies to comeforward to improve the facilities at the Institute. Also feel free to visit our institute

        Thanking you in advance for your support and cooperation.

        With regards

        Yours sincerely

        George Cheriyan
        Director
        Schumacher Institute of Appropriate Technology and Rural Development
        Malhaur, Chinhat, Lucknow – 227 105
        Telephone: 0522-315501/315873
        Fax: 0522-315507
        E-mail: siatrd1@...