season's greetings

  • Bhartendu Prakash
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
      Dear Friends:

      PLEASE ACCEPT OUR BEST WISHES AND GREETINGS FOR A PROSPEROUS AND REWARDING
      YEAR 2002AD

      Bharatendu Prakash/ Shobhana
      Vigyan Shiksha Kendra/Banda 210001
      05192-24587

    • Shaji John K
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
        Dear all,

        Here are a few greetings posted by members.

        Cheers
        Shaji
        Abrar A Khan" <abrarkhan@...>

        Thanks for your greetings. Have a very Joyful New Year with your
        family and friends. May 2002, be ayear filled with understanding,
        love, harmony and balance for all!

        "Charan Singh Verma" <charan_verma@...>

        hi friends ! wish you all a fabulous year 2002.
        Raman, from Kerala.

        Dear Friends, May the New Year be joyous, aimful &
        prosperous to All of You.
      • Shaji John K
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
          Do you think you might be able to sign it and/or pass it on to others
          who would endorse it?

          ===========>Forwarded from SACW<=====================
          Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:53:41 +1000
          From: FoE Sydney - Nuclear Campaign <nonukes@...>

          URGENT! Help Stop Indo-Pak War:
          Peace Letter seeks NGO Signatures

          Dear NGO,

          Do you think that your organisation could endorse this?

          It is to be sent urgently to the governments of India and Pakistan.

          This letter to the governments of India and Pakistan is now
          soliciting signatures from organisations, parliamentarians,
          and prominent persons most urgently, and in view of the situation,
          needs to be sent as soon as possible.

          Do you think you might be able to sign it and/or pass it on to others
          who would endorse it?

          (To sign/endorse just email me back with details of your name, name
          of organisation, position, and location including country)

          John Hallam

          PRIME MINISTER OF INDIA A.B. VAJPAYEE,
          SOUTH BLOCK, NEW DELHI, 110-004
          +91-11-301-6857 +91-11-301-9545, 91-11-972-2-664-838

          MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS INDIA
          +91-11-301-0700 UN MISSION Fax. + 1 212 490 9656
          Aust. High Commission - 6273-1308, 6273-3328

          PRESIDENT MUSHARRAF OF PAKISTAN,
          0011-92-51-920-3938, 0011-92-51-920-1968 0011-92-51-811390

          FOREIGN MINISTER OF PAKISTAN
          +92-51-920-7217 +92-51-920 0420 or 820-420
          UN Mission Fax. + 1 212 744 7348 Aust. High Commission - 6290-1073

          UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY - GENERAL KOFI ANNAN

          Dear Presidents, Prime Ministers, Secretary-General, and Foreign
          Ministers of India and Pakistan,

          The undersigned groups and parliamentarians, representing people and
          organizations worldwide write to you to express our extreme concern
          over the possibility of conflict between your two countries.

          A military conflict could all too easily become a devastating
          nuclear exchange, which could destroy both countries as functioning
          entities, with casulties in the millions. Some projections suggest
          that up to 150 million people might die, depending on the exact scenario.

          Military action, or a threat of military action, could all too
          easily lead to an outcome that is not in anyone's interest.

          Military solutions to the Kashmir problem should therefore be ruled
          out. It is therefore urgent to initiate a dialogue on Kashmir in
          whatever is the most effective manner, leading to a real solution
          to the Kashmir problem.

          We do not seek to prescribe in detail any particular solution to the
          Kashmir issue. Rather we point out that the losses that would be
          incurred equally by both nations in a nuclear exchange are so vast,
          and so incomprehensible, that no political, security, or other goal
          whatsoever could possibly justify taking the risk of those losses.

          Eliminating the risk of a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan
          is a goal which must take precedence over all other possible political
          and security goals as it concerns the continued physical survival of both
          nations.

          The religious traditions of both Islam and Hinduism place a high
          value on peace. Whoever provides a peaceful and just way out of this
          crisis will have the gratititude of both Indians, Pakistanis, and the
          world as a whole.

          We therefore urge India and Pakistan:
          --To move their troops, especially 'strategic units', but also all
          military formations, back from the border.
          --To instruct their troops not to return fire if fired upon
          --To immediately enter discussions both at SAARC and elsewhere which
          will stabilize the situation.
          --To immediately restore road and rail links
          --To enter discussions as to the most appropriate way in which to
          pursue terrorist organisations.

          and in the longer term:
          --To enter a dialogue aimed at providing a mutually acceptable
          solution to the Kashmiri problem.
          --To enter discussions aimed at eliminating the risk of a nuclear
          exchange between the two countries, under any cicumstances.
          --To work towards lasting solutions toward peace and stability in the
          region.

          Finally, we urge that both nations take seriously the goal of
          eliminating nuclear weapons to which other nations have agreed,
          and eliminate the risk of the annihilation of both parties by
          dismantling their nuclear arsenals.

          We trust that through these and other representations, a peaceful
          solution to the current crisis will be found.

          Signed
          [Organizations and Parliamentarians Signatures]

          John Loretz, International Physicians for the prevention of Nuclear
          War (IPPNW)

          John Hallam, Friends of the Earth Australia,
          Irene Gale AM, Australian Peace Committee,
          Jo Vallentine, People for Nuclear Disarmament W.A.,

          Martin Butcher, Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR)
          Washington, USA,
          Marylia Kelly, Tri-Valley CARES, Livermore, US,
          Carol Wolman, Nuclear Peace Action Group of Mendocino, CA.
          Alice Slater, Global Resource and Action Centre for the Environment,
          (GRACE) NY, USA,

          Jenny Maxwell, West Midlands CND, UK,

          Harsh Kapoor, South Asians Against Nukes,
          Sukla Sen EKTA (Committee for Communal Amity) Mumbai (Bombay)
        • Shaji John K
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
            ENVIRONMENTALIST ANIL AGARWAL PASSES AWAY

            NEW DELHI, JANUARY 2: Anil Agarwal, 54,
            Chairperson of the New Delhi based Centre for Science
            and Environment, passed away in Dehradun today
            after a prolonged illness. He was undergoing treatment
            for cancer and asthma, and is survived by his wife
            and two daughters.

            The cremation will take place at the Lodhi Road
            Crematorium at 3 pm today, January 3, 2002
            Agarwal, a mechanical engineer trained at IIT Kanpur,
            began his journalistic career as a science correspondent
            for the Hindustan Times in 1973. He was the Editor of Down
            To Earth,India's premier science and environment magazine.
            He has written for several international publications including
            the London-based journals Earthscan and New Scientist.
            He has written and edited more than 20 books on science
            and environment in India.

            In 1980, Agarwal founded CSE, one of the world's
            most dynamic NGOs. From 1983 to 1987, Agarwal chaired
            the world's largest network of environmental NGOs,
            the Nairobi-based Environment Liasion Centre.
            In 1987, the United Nations Environment Programme elected
            him to its Global 500 Honor Roll for his work in the national
            and international arena. The Indian Government has
            also honored him with Padma Shri and Padma Bushan
            for his work in environment and development
          • Shaji John K
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
              "Mohammad Imran" <imran@...>

              A very happy, prosperous, peaceful, just and fair to all,
              new year for all of you. And for Shaji: keep on doing your
              wonderful and good work.

              Mohammad Imran

              Thank you Imran for this cheer!

              It's now 6 months since FRIENDS_of_UP gone online;
              beating all my expectations it has now 130 odd members.
              This is a fabulous growth, considering the focus of the
              list and the limited Internet access in the country.
              This wouldn't have been possible without members like you
              who chipped in with their two pennies of thought and
              encouragement, especially when morale hit low when
              I find all by myself in the list day after day.
              I am immensely grateful to you all in bringing
              this cyber cafe list this far. I am hoping with
              your continued support this year we will be able
              to reach out to more, and generate lively discussions
              on issues that are relevant to the cause of the poor
              and marginalized in UP.

              Cheers
              Shaji
            • Shaji John K
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
                Friends:

                I deeply mourn the tragic end of one of our close associates and
                friend Shri Anil Agrawal. I remember the initial days of CSE of which
                I happened to be the founder President.

                The news which I had discovered this morning from an article of TOI-
                Lucknow edn. was really very shocking. I could not believe but your
                mail/message has confirmed it.

                I am thankful to you Shaji for conveying this important though very
                tragic news for me personally and for all the environmentalists.

                We at Vigyan Shiksha Kendra always appreciated his work. Incidently
                he was the first to write on VSK and our efforts of rice-husk cement
                production in DINMAN during 1974 under authorship of Sudha , his
                wife. If possible please convey to Sudha our deep feelings.

                He was a very able, socially active and visionary student of
                IIT/Kanpur where I happened to be a PDFresearcher during his student-
                days. I had left IIT in 1973-74 and he moved to Delhi. As he desired
                CSE got its shape and during 1982, decision of publishing the first
                citizen's report was taken in the last meeting which I presided.

                That was a turning point. At that time we were not sure what will
                happen and where from funds for its publication will come? But it
                was managed well by Anil Agrawal and CSE never looked back since
                then.

                We were in constant touch for many initial years and I have numerous
                memories of our association with him. In those initial days he was
                patient of Asthma but where from Cancer came and how did he manage in
                spite of its severity? all is history now. VERY SAD.

                Unfortunately I do not have e-mail id of Anil/Sudha or CSE. Is it
                possible for you to inform me CSE's address including e-mail id.

                We offer our heartfelt tributes to his sweet memories and pray
                ALMIGHTY to rest him in peace (PARAM SHANTI).

                Bharatendu Prakash/ Vigyan Shiksha Kendra/Banda

                [Bhartendu Prakash]
                ---------> More on Anil Agarwal go to <------------
                http://www.cseindia.org/html/au/au12.htm#anil