Live and let live: ...Combat HIV/AIDS

  • Shaji John K
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 5:33 AM
      Live and let live: civil society must keep up the pressure to combat

      "Live and let live" is the slogan of the World AIDS Campaign for 2002-
      03 – a catchphrase that will be highlighted on World AIDS Day on the
      1 December. The idea will be to raise awareness of, and thereby
      contain, the stigma and discrimination suffered by HIV-positive
      people around the world. The campaign asserts that efforts to
      prevent the spread of infections will only succeed if people can
      publicly acknowledge their HIV status and receive the support they

      On the global stage, civil society organisations must keep up
      constant pressure to ensure that the issues around HIV/AIDS are taken
      seriously by governments and multilateral institutions. It is ironic
      that governments that are able to quickly and effectively mobilise
      resources at short notice to fund military efforts can drag their
      feet around funding for HIV/AIDS research, treatment and prevention.
      UNAIDS estimates that more than US$10 billion is required to fight
      the global pandemic annually – in 2002, only US$3 billion has been
      raised so far.

      HIV/AIDS is currently the biggest threat to stability, peace,
      security and development facing our global village. It is time that
      governments and global agencies own up to their moral responsibility
      and dedicate sufficient resources, intellectual energies and
      leadership to combating the spread of the disease in all parts of the
      world. It is commonly acknowledged that poverty and underdevelopment
      are integrally linked to the spread of the disease, and larger civil
      society and governmental efforts promoting development – and
      especially the Millennium Development Goals – should be cognisant of
      the impact of HIV/AIDS at all times. AIDS not only cripples
      families, it disables economies and political systems too. In the
      same vein, civil society organisations working at international,
      regional, national and local levels also must be given sufficient
      resources to express themselves and engage in both policy-making and
      implementation around these issues.

      Within our own organisations and civil society networks, too, we need
      to be aware of the possibility that our colleagues and employees may
      be infected or directly affected by the disease. The civil society
      sector should develop an ethos of compassion and support, through
      progressive internal policies and a conscious awareness of the stigma
      and burden suffered by many HIV-positive people.

      Lastly, within our families and communities, we are called out daily
      to become aware of the effects of this devastating disease. Civil
      society activists can, using the benefits of our organisational,
      strategic and political experience, become powerful and creative
      forces in our own communities to assist people living with HIV/AIDS.

      Kumi Naidoo

      Related Links:

      New AIDS study -- India among worst scenarios

      Stigma is the greatest obstacle in the fight against AIDS

      Gender and HIV/AIDS: Cutting Edge Pack by BRIDGE

      U.S. Policies on AIDS

      Visit FoUP Knowledge Center