Re: Alignment problems, PA0PGA: Wim are you still on the forum?

  • PGA
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hello Carol, nice to have you back again, we really have been missing you. Yes, I'm still in the foxtango groups,altough I'm not very active (have a look at QRZ.com)hi.
      At the moment pulling my sparse hair out repairing the tracking oscillator of my HP 141T Spectrum analyser.....

      For the FRG-7700:
      If you measure at testpoint tp2005, you must have the VFO dial at 1000, when you turn the VFO to zero, the voltage should be between 1.5 and 2 volts.

      You have to check if there is a VFO signal on J7 pin2 near the 4044.
      Sometimes, the slidecontacts of the VFO var,condenser are dirty after all this years.

      Hear from you.
      73, Wim PA0PGA

      --- In FRG-7700@yahoogroups.com, "w4clm" <w4clm@...> wrote:

      > Hello to all,
      > signed off this group many years ago, had to finish a 25 year career at sea and just had no time for the forums. Retired form shipping last year after 25 years as a ships Sparky. Now working on radios in my little shop http://www.certifiedelectronics.org
      > and still trying to keep flame burning at Fox Tango Intl alive.
      >
      > Recently came across an FRG-7700 that has renewed my interest in this sweet little receiver. VFO won't tune and and appears to have PLL problems. Need the expertise of PA0PGA if you're still on board Wim.
      > Reading on some of the earlier postings from a few years back it appears I have the same problem with this receiver as did the gentlemen below. Attempted to check the alignment by of the receiver. Looking for the 7 volts at TP2005, everything is a muck!
      > Something like 2.5 volts or so, adjusting T2007 does little to help other than to drop if off to even less voltage. Can not get TP2005 up to 7v, I suspect MC4044 ???
      >
      > Anyone have any further input for me on this problem?
      > Thanks and nice to be back on the group.
      > 73
      > Carol W4CLM
      > Club Admin Http://www.foxtango.org
      >

      > --- In FRG-7700@yahoogroups.com, "swl_dx" <swl_dx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wim,
      > > Thanks. I will check.
      > > 73,
      > > Kraig
      > > --- In FRG-7700@yahoogroups.com, "Wim Penders" <wpenders@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello OM,
      > > >
      > > > Check first Q26/27.
      > > > Check the solderig around Q-25, MC4044, maybe the IC itself is at
      > > > fault and has to be replaced.
      > > >
      > > > If you have only the quoted voltages, the first VCO is not working.
      > > > Check back to us eventually.
      > > >
      > > > 73, Wim PA0PGA

    • W4CLM
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013

        Wow great to know you’re still alive and kicking over there Wim.

        Yes I retired last year from shipping. No more going to sea, this radio operator is QRT shipboard, QRV on the ham bands!
        Hee Hee

        Yes I put the VFO at 1000, I thought the voltage was supposed to be 7 volts ??    I am getting about 1.5 to 2 volts at Tp2005 but I will check again.

        I’m not very familiar with this radio, so I’m learning.  The VFO is tuning, it was the first thing I checked using a scope and frequency counter to make sure it was working.

        At first I thought the VFO had a problem because the radio will not tune by VFO.  But the mechanical VFO is tuning and appear to be ok.

        I will check for VFO at J7 Pin2 and let you know if I see it.

        Thank you

        Carol W4CLM

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
          Hi Carol, Wim,
          Good point. Recently have had a couple of receivers with similar
          variable capacitor problem. Seems the original lubricant (grease) dries
          out and if the receiver is not used for some time the spring contact
          strips make intermittent contact. This temporarily can clear with a bit
          of vigorous use but really needs cleaning out.

          Nice to see you both in evidence on here.

          --
          73 de pat g4gvw
          es gd dx