Eventually!

  • blkmtr
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Well I did it!

      I was able to use PAM and did a lot of runs to bring my polar alignment below 2.5 arcmin in both elev. and azim.

      The problem was, as usual, that the combination The Sky/CCDSoft truly sucks at plate solving. As soon as I turned to Maxim/Pinpoint LE it only failed one run out of probably 10 I did last night. Very solid platform.

      It is probably time to do the transition from CCDSoft to Maxim: I liked the "no frills" approach in ccdsoft, but, if one plans on automating his imaging, where some plate solving might come handy, the road is too long with the sky and ccdsoft.
      Here we go then: gotta learn how to use another piece of software!

      Thanks to all that have offered their help in my previous posts.

      Luca
    • Larry Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
        I use Maxim and Full Pinpoint and have never had a plate solve fail except when the exposure was too short.

        Larry

        --- In FMaxUG@yahoogroups.com, "blkmtr" <astrovale@...> wrote:

        > Well I did it!
        >
        > I was able to use PAM and did a lot of runs to bring my polar alignment below 2.5 arcmin in both elev. and azim.
        >
        > The problem was, as usual, that the combination The Sky/CCDSoft truly sucks at plate solving. As soon as I turned to Maxim/Pinpoint LE it only failed one run out of probably 10 I did last night. Very solid platform.
        >
        > It is probably time to do the transition from CCDSoft to Maxim: I liked the "no frills" approach in ccdsoft, but, if one plans on automating his imaging, where some plate solving might come handy, the road is too long with the sky and ccdsoft.
        > Here we go then: gotta learn how to use another piece of software!
        >
        > Thanks to all that have offered their help in my previous posts.
        >
        > Luca

      • Mike C
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
          > I use Maxim and Full Pinpoint and have never had a plate solve fail except when
          > the exposure was too short.

          I had a ton of plate solves fail. You just need a smaller camera ; )

          Since I went from the ST237 to a DSLR, they all succeed. Since I went from a P3 to a
          P4 in the observatory, they are also all instant. Love it!
        • Dale Liebenberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
            Good.
            My combination of Pinpoint / PAM / FMax / Maxim / ACP works well. No experience of The Sky - use StarryNight which combines well with ACP.

            Dale