14135Re: [FMCMotorCoach] Re: FRONT END DANCES

  • Joe L.
    Nov 30, 2017
      324 needs some help also, you tube would be great.

      On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Duane Bryant speyrod@... [FMCMotorCoach]
      <FMCMotorCoach@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      GANG,

           Thank you for all of your comments!  I know that others have had this problem and you are all correct with possible solutions.  I have tried several and if I can fix that single problem, I would truly drive my unit a lot more.

            I did speak with Harry Fitzsimmons from Canada.  He described "Bump Start" (a term that I had not heard before) as being the culprit.  His son designed and installed a solution on his FMC and he tells me it solved the problem.  He went on to say that there was a YOUTUBE video showing the unit in operation.

           Mr. Fitzsimmons (he prefers to be called Harry) said he would try to locate photos of the before and after and send them over.  With his permission, I will share the photos with the group.

           One thing that does seem to help was my redesigning my water tank so that the water weight is primarily on the front. When filled, this seems to equal out the front/rear weight difference.

           I plan to install AIR TABS!  My research seems to indicate that may help with the big trucks swooping past me.

           I am determined to address this problem, even if I have to locate a new suspension from a modern unit.  Surely, if you have other thoughts, I would appreciate hearing from you.

      Duane Bryant

          Thank you all!  Especially Harry!

      On Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 9:55:27 AM EST, Steve az2bear@... [FMCMotorCoach] <FMCMotorCoach@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You might want to check the rag joint on the steering column.  This was a problem I had fixed when I owned 602.
      Steve

      Morning Duane,

      #846 used to wander quite a bit; to the point where making headway was pretty much a constant series of corrections. Unnerving to say the least.

      Took it to a local shop set up to do alignments, showed the guy a photocopy of the amended alignment specs from the owners manual and after checking out the front-end, he did the job outside the shop with a portable alignment setup.

      Improvement was considerable.

      She's not perfect but is a joy to drive. Handles better and is 100% predictable in the corners.

      As you know, FMC's are, by design, heavy in the ass end and this poses addition challenges to maintaining good handling characteristics. 10,000/lbs on the rears and only 4,500 on the steering end of things will do it every time.

      I would start by finding someone on here, or, the Owners Group Forum advise on a good front-end shop in your neck of the woods that could help you out. Have them go over the entire front-end as well as the bushings in the rear trailing-arms to make sure you don't have excess play back there. Haven't heard a lot about confirmed rear suspension issues with FMC's but it's worth checking just in case.

      If you go back over the posts on this and the OG forum you'll read all kinds of ideas and remedies for improving the handling of these coaches, from running with your water tanks full, to adding additional weight up front, to Timbren bushings in the rear, the list goes on...

      When I drove #509 over 1000 miles north from Santa Cruz a few years back, it was bar-none the scariest drive of my life. I had serious brake issues - that I'd just paid RVS a lot of money to resolve - compounded by a loose front wheel spindle nut that allowed about 1/4" of play in wheel. The coach pretty much did lane-changes when it felt like it; a white-knuckled 1000-mile zig-zag continuum.

      I'm not nearly qualified enough to comment on potential front-end diagnostics, issues or fixes, but there's lots of other guys on here that are.

      Hope you solve this so can get back to that 'happy-place' driving these wonderful old coaches.

      Good luck!

      Terry Anderson

      Canada

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic