    Nov 29, 2017
      You might want to check the rag joint on the steering column.  This was a problem I had fixed when I owned 602.
      Steve

      On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:38 AM, "silversaw@... [FMCMotorCoach]" <FMCMotorCoach@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Morning Duane,

      #846 used to wander quite a bit; to the point where making headway was pretty much a constant series of corrections. Unnerving to say the least.

      Took it to a local shop set up to do alignments, showed the guy a photocopy of the amended alignment specs from the owners manual and after checking out the front-end, he did the job outside the shop with a portable alignment setup.

      Improvement was considerable.

      She's not perfect but is a joy to drive. Handles better and is 100% predictable in the corners.

      As you know, FMC's are, by design, heavy in the ass end and this poses addition challenges to maintaining good handling characteristics. 10,000/lbs on the rears and only 4,500 on the steering end of things will do it every time.

      I would start by finding someone on here, or, the Owners Group Forum advise on a good front-end shop in your neck of the woods that could help you out. Have them go over the entire front-end as well as the bushings in the rear trailing-arms to make sure you don't have excess play back there. Haven't heard a lot about confirmed rear suspension issues with FMC's but it's worth checking just in case.

      If you go back over the posts on this and the OG forum you'll read all kinds of ideas and remedies for improving the handling of these coaches, from running with your water tanks full, to adding additional weight up front, to Timbren bushings in the rear, the list goes on...

      When I drove #509 over 1000 miles north from Santa Cruz a few years back, it was bar-none the scariest drive of my life. I had serious brake issues - that I'd just paid RVS a lot of money to resolve - compounded by a loose front wheel spindle nut that allowed about 1/4" of play in wheel. The coach pretty much did lane-changes when it felt like it; a white-knuckled 1000-mile zig-zag continuum.

      I'm not nearly qualified enough to comment on potential front-end diagnostics, issues or fixes, but there's lots of other guys on here that are.

      Hope you solve this so can get back to that 'happy-place' driving these wonderful old coaches.

      Good luck!

      Terry Anderson

      Canada

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic