Re: UL: Fatal Crash

  • Don Zank
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
      Ken Skeen wrote:

      > Mitchell Wing. I heard he stalled it, but that was 2nd or 3rd hand

      A Mitchell wing put into or inadvertantly let into a decending
      spiral...not even too steep a one, will be unrecoverable or nearly
      so!!! Or so I was told by Mitchell wing pilots several times.
      DZ

    • Mike Peters
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Why? Perhaps they are saying that because of the older diamond stick
        pattern. It used to be that a full forward or aft stick would not allow any
        aileron movement (left or right). That had changed a long time ago and I
        wasn't worried about that anyhow, since you could fly it quite well with tip
        rudder only for everything but pitch, quite similar to a 'Dactyl' that has
        no ailerons or stabilators, as in the case of a Mitchell Wing.

        Roll is effective with just the tip rudder, so I think those stories could
        fall into the 'urban legend' folder. Mitchell's have been spun with near
        vertical dives for recovery -- no problem. Of coarse there is no need for
        aileron movement in a spin, so perhaps that is why they are using the spiral
        example.

        There was an Air Force pilot killed many years ago, and the diamond pattern
        was blamed, but obviously he new little of the flight charactaristocs of a
        tip ruddered aircraft, but after that accident, the control system was
        changed to a standard square pattern.

        Another thing, you would never need full forward or aft stick for such a
        recovery on a A-10 or B-10 in a spiral or spin. A spin requires ample
        altitude for recovery though, and in this case it sounded like he did not
        have much of that.

        Mike Peters