Shhhhh!!!

  • frankbeagle
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
      Is this once vibrant group dead?

      Frank "WOOF" Beagle
      Challenger Dealer
      N797FB
      http://frankbeagle.blogspot.com/
      frankbeagle@...
      708-269-8057
    • Jay D
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
        It makes me sad   :(

        JayD

        From: frankbeagle <frankbeagle@...>
        To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:10 AM
        Subject: UL: Shhhhh!!!

        Is this once vibrant group dead?

        Frank "WOOF" Beagle
        Challenger Dealer
        N797FB
        http://frankbeagle.blogspot.com/
        frankbeagle@...
        708-269-8057

      • AvSites
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
          And yet others are just now discovering it for the first time... I guess it is "in with the new" now.

          Randy

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
            I think ultralight aviation is about to have a resurgence in spite of the massive psiop that has been directed against it for the past fifteen years or so. The freedom to travel is a birthright, after all, and no amount of parasitic corporate/military tyranny can change that. History now favors the good guy, finally.

            ~Don
          • jim chuk
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
              Sad to say, it does seem to be that way.  Funny thing, just before I saw your message, I was thinking about posting one here to see if I could get any responce.  Hope I don't highjack your thread by the following.  Couple of days ago, I saw some videos on utube about a glider called a Goat, maybe Yondo Goat.  If you search for Red Goat glider, you will find it.  I got to thinking, if that Goat had a small engine on it, maybe what they use on a butt fan, it would be a fun little ultralight.  I'm going to do some more research into it and see what I can come up with.  As far as the list going silent, I imagine quite a few things have caused it.  Mostly maybe people giving up on ULs because of worry about FAA enforcement and such.  The economy, price of fuel, ect. have all helped to dampen the UL spirit I think.  Some have moved up to SP perhaps.  It is a shame though that the list has all but disapeared,  even though I got a SP ticket as soon as I was able to, I still like the idea of the ULs and the activity the list used to have.  It's like a freind of mine who also moved up to SP said when we were talking about the fun we used to have flying ULs, "now we just fly in bigger circles".   There is an old saying that goes, if you want something done, do it yourself.  In line with that, those of us that want the list to come back just have to start making posts to it and maybe people will start to come out of the woodwork and get back into making the list what it used to be.  Take care,  Jim Chuk
            • CBVilleneuve
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012

                In my area of Canada , things are still fine!  So far this year I added another 41 hours on my Beaver single-seater.

                I edit the newsletter for my Flying Club, the THOMPSON VALLEY SPORT FLYING CLUB.

                We are located in south-central British Columbia, you can find us at      http://www.tvsac.net/

                Happy flying!

                Cam

[...]

              • Bill Volcko
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                  I don't know why the list is quiet. I fly a ELSA Challenger, but its
                  still a frriggin UL. Not by legal definition but in spirit.

                  BV

                • mrwizerd@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Not sure if the UL Group is dead or not because I spend more time flying rather than e-mailing.  I too went SP with my 2 seat trike and I love being able to show others what ultralight flying is all about.  But lately I have been spending more time flying my antique Wizard weight shift ultalight (circa 1980).  Just hard to beat flying just over the terrain going 32 mph while swinging your butt around to control the aircraft.  And the best part is my flying buddy Bob has an identical Wizard so we are perfectly matched in the air.  ULs are alive for those with the will and the spirit.

                    Ed in St Louis

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                      I'm kind of in between seasons here. No snow for skis and the ice is too thin on the lakes so just kind of waiting things out. Plane just sets in the hangar waiting.
                      Chris

                      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, mrwizerd@... wrote:

                      > Not sure if the UL Group is dead or not because I spend more time flying rather than e-mailing. I too went SP with my 2 seat trike and I love being able to show others what ultralight flying is all about. But lately I have been spending more time flying my antique Wizard weight shift ultalight (circa 1980). Just hard to beat flying just over the terrain going 32 mph while swinging your butt around to control the aircraft. And the best part is my flying buddy Bob has an identical Wizard so we are perfectly matched in the air. ULs are alive for those with the will and the spirit.
                      >
                      > Ed in St Louis

                    • Malcolm Brubaker
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012

                        a guy at my airport has asked to store his tubing bender in my hanger.
                        he is a pipe fitter and flies, he has several dyes and has offered to let me use the bender but being so involved with sewing sails i'm a little hesitant to get involved with another aspect to my biz , Question!
                         how involved is bending tubes to order for a couple types of ultralights?
                        i kinda wonder about making flying wires also. call any time mal

                        Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
                        Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
                        LSRM-A, PPC, WS
                        Great Sails - Sailmaker
                        for Ultralight & Light Sport
                        (989)513-3022

                      • Malcolm Brubaker
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012

                          scott please check out this news leter its from mula were guna be 25 years old next year
                          http://www.michiganultralight.com/newsletter/DEC12/Dec12evers.PDF
                                please keep in touch   happy holiday   mal

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                            I herd "you fly it" has bought the rites to make and sell the airolite102
                            ther in florida any body know them?

                            Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
                            Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
                            LSRM-A, PPC, WS
                            Great Sails - Sailmaker
                            for Ultralight & Light Sport
                            (989)513-3022

                          • Don Croft
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                              That is so cool, Ed!  I'll be learning powered parachutes next month in Arizona and I agree with you that the low and slow experience is unmatched. I suggest doing that around cumulus clouds, by the way--one can literally touch them and the first time I did that in my open Phantom it was several hours after I landed before I could suppress the stupid grin. It was literally one of the happiest moments n my life and I'm not a young guy.  I visit St Louis occasionally so maybe we can fly together sometime.  I do trikes and three axis for now and will be putting floats on my Phantom this spring.

                              ~Don

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                                Hi Malcolm,
                                Thanks for the link. Great to see Dennis is still putting together a wonderfull newsletter. I've not been getting one for years. I miss not knowing what is going on. Looks like we lost Walt LaPorte - didn't know that. A membership to one of the best clubs around was going to be one of my presents to myself this year. Tomorrow is my 51st Bday.
                                Best,
                                RonO

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                                  I think 'the spirit' is all that maters unless one attracts attention by having a two-seater ;-) and otherwise lightness seems to only be an issue for a few of us who want to approximate natural flight.  Canadians can fly heavier ULs according to the rules but I want to know if UL flyers there, in general, are completely left alone by Big Brother, as we generally are in the US.

                                  ~Don