Ultralight Instruction

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
      I was so out of the loop when most of the changes to UL took place.
      Out of the country working but here's the changes I noticed.

      I had not quite completed my 503 Tukan but lost out on the grand fathered status that happened. I was, however, able to N number my 2-place trike based on photo, logs, etc.

      It had been test flown 2 up for about 4 hours.
      Then I come back and get ready to go flying and find out that, where it is now N numbered, I can't fly it legally until my Private Pilot License is endorsed for Weight Shift. (800 plus hours on hang gliders by the way.)

      First step, find someone to do some flying with me. Not going to happen.
      The instructors I used to know that would do it, are locked into the whole Sport Pilot thing and will only do it in their aircraft at $150 hour. Even though it is 100% legal to do it in the builders own aircraft. Yes, I understand that flying someone else's aircraft is risky but this certainly wasn't an issue not that many years ago. Seems as if it's not a state of the art 582/912 powered mega trike, they have no interest. I'm pretty sure most are restricted by company policy where they work. Where I'm not sure of what went on, I do know the number of people still teaching is about 10% of what it once was.
      One guy I know has less than 10% of the hours of my first instructor even though he's teaching while the other is "retired". In fact my first instructor taught him lol.

      Getting a sign off for weight shift:
      You might as well be starting from scratch. It's all about the money now. Some instructors will not even teach unless you're buying a trike from them. The number of WS independent cfi's is somewhere between slim and none. Plus, you have to have 2 instructors involved in the process. One to teach, the other to sign you off.

      So, where does this leave us? As was previously posted, you just do field hopping and teach yourself. This is a huge step in the wrong direction.

      Where does this leave me? Sitting with a brand new Tukan and not flying that's where. Wishing I had never N numbered my trike.

      Bob
    • Chuck Tabbert
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012

        Bob,

        Don’t know where you’re located, but here in New Mexico, we will train you in your trike, once we determine that it is flight worthy.

        Come on down

[...]

      • Pat and Gayle Breth
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
          faa should change their name to fah.s
        • Bob Bradley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
            Might take you up on that offer Chuck. Florida is not that easy to do.

            Bob Bradley

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012

              You know there is a great team in Tampa that does a lot of training.  I bought my REVO from them.

              Give Larry Mednick a call at Tampabay Aerosport (813)-810-9262 and see if he can help you out before thinking of coming all the way to New Mexico to train

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
                How about some one in Missouri?  Anyone available to give training for a tailwheel aircraft, Part 103??

                Thanks in advance.

                Steve Johnson
                stevemo43@...