Re: UL: Weird tach reading question

  • Matt Slezak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      I'd check the connections to your mag switch - really simple - right, left, ground, battery. Trace back through the firewall to be sure the wires weren't crisscrossed at the mag. If you have another mag switch try it out, easy to test without removing the old switch. You can test also manually if you want to test the left mag, jumper wire between the ground and right mag connection on the switch. Vice versa for the right mag.

      Best,

      Matt Slezak
      Aeronca 11AC 1946 N9537E

      Hi all, I just reinstalled a 582 gray head in a plane after it got new pistons and seals. When I do a mag check, the tach drops about 150 RPM on the one mag and you can hear the engine slow down. When I do the mag check on the other mag, the tach goes up about 200 RPM even though I can hear the engine slow down. I remember reading of this before, but don't remember what the cause was. Anyone able to help me out? It didn't do this before I pulled the engine. Thanks, Jim Chuk

    • Matt Slezak

        Hi all, I just reinstalled a 582 gray head in a plane after it got new pistons and seals. When I do a mag check, the tach drops about 150 RPM on the one mag and you can hear the engine slow down. When I do the mag check on the other mag, the tach goes up about 200 RPM even though I can hear the engine slow down. I remember reading of this before, but don't remember what the cause was. Anyone able to help me out? It didn't do this before I pulled the engine. Thanks, Jim Chuk

      • mark47620
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "b_avidflyer2" <avidflyer@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, I just reinstalled a 582 gray head in a plane after it got new pistons and seals. When I do a mag check, the tach drops about 150 RPM on the one mag and you can hear the engine slow down. When I do the mag check on the other mag, the tach goes up about 200 RPM even though I can hear the engine slow down. I remember reading of this before, but don't remember what the cause was. Anyone able to help me out? It didn't do this before I pulled the engine. Thanks, Jim Chuk

          I have no idea why the tach goes up on some and down on others, but if you close your eyes when you do the check everything comes out OK.

          mark