Re: UL: trailering

  • scuba_diving_pilot
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
      I bought a 26'V nose car carrier, I'm hoping that's gonna do the trick! I have been having a heck of a time finding somewhere to hanger it, so I bought a used trailer off of c-list pretty cheap. The Hawk I am supposed to go get is right at 700 miles as well. Wish me luck!

      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "fishmaster232" <fishmaster232@...> wrote:

      > HI, Scuba,
      >
      > I bought and trailered my Arrow II about 700 mi. After checking truck rental prices I was lucky enough to borrow a 28' enclosed trailer from a friend.
      >
      > My Hawk took almost all of it, I would say 25' with the folding tail positioned in the v nose.
      >
      > I had a close call with the width and height (had to remove oil inj), but made it. The wings I slung from the walls with 3" vinyl drainage hose that folds flat and padded them with bubble rap.
      >
      > Read Robert's post that he suggested, it has very important things to be aware of.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Rod
      >

      > > From: scuba_diving_pilot <scubacrazy@>
      > > Subject: UL: trailering
      > > To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
      > > Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
      > >

      > > How/what is the best way to trailer a hawk II home? the wings are already off on the potential buy I have set up. I am trying to figure out the best way to go, rent a U-haul and drive it home, or borrow a trailer from someone and doing it that way, it would be trailered from Indiana to NC. Running out of time to figure it out, seller is holding the plane for 9 more days before re-listing it. What is the normal length on hawk II 's I see different numbers on line. Anywhere from 20-24ft is this accurate? I am trying to get it home as cheaply as possible, so that I can spend any money saved on annual and spit shining the plane. Thanks in advance!

    • ChrisV
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2011
        From one who has chased a few planes, I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Corn nuts, Lemon aid and go man go :^)

        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_diving_pilot" <scubacrazy@...> wrote:

        > I bought a 26'V nose car carrier, I'm hoping that's gonna do the trick! I have been having a heck of a time finding somewhere to hanger it, so I bought a used trailer off of c-list pretty cheap. The Hawk I am supposed to go get is right at 700 miles as well. Wish me luck!
        >
        > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "fishmaster232" <fishmaster232@> wrote:
        > >
        > > HI, Scuba,
        > >
        > > I bought and trailered my Arrow II about 700 mi. After checking truck rental prices I was lucky enough to borrow a 28' enclosed trailer from a friend.
        > >
        > > My Hawk took almost all of it, I would say 25' with the folding tail positioned in the v nose.
        > >
        > > I had a close call with the width and height (had to remove oil inj), but made it. The wings I slung from the walls with 3" vinyl drainage hose that folds flat and padded them with bubble rap.
        > >
        > > Read Robert's post that he suggested, it has very important things to be aware of.
        > >
        > > Good luck,
        > >
        > > Rod
        > >

        > > > From: scuba_diving_pilot <scubacrazy@>
        > > > Subject: UL: trailering
        > > > To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
        > > > Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
        > > >

        > > > How/what is the best way to trailer a hawk II home? the wings are already off on the potential buy I have set up. I am trying to figure out the best way to go, rent a U-haul and drive it home, or borrow a trailer from someone and doing it that way, it would be trailered from Indiana to NC. Running out of time to figure it out, seller is holding the plane for 9 more days before re-listing it. What is the normal length on hawk II 's I see different numbers on line. Anywhere from 20-24ft is this accurate? I am trying to get it home as cheaply as possible, so that I can spend any money saved on annual and spit shining the plane. Thanks in advance!

      • bburnsound
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 17, 2011
          I, too, am looking to purchase a CGS Hawk. It's a Classic II but am concerned about trailering it also. Main concern is about the width of the landing gear. Anyone know how wide it is? I have a flat bed trailer with 83 inches to work with inside the pipes and wheel wells. Any help would be appreciated. Bob.

          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "ChrisV" <cmvans@...> wrote:

          > From one who has chased a few planes, I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Corn nuts, Lemon aid and go man go :^)
          >

          > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_diving_pilot" <scubacrazy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I bought a 26'V nose car carrier, I'm hoping that's gonna do the trick! I have been having a heck of a time finding somewhere to hanger it, so I bought a used trailer off of c-list pretty cheap. The Hawk I am supposed to go get is right at 700 miles as well. Wish me luck!
          > >
          > > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "fishmaster232" <fishmaster232@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > HI, Scuba,
          > > >
          > > > I bought and trailered my Arrow II about 700 mi. After checking truck rental prices I was lucky enough to borrow a 28' enclosed trailer from a friend.
          > > >
          > > > My Hawk took almost all of it, I would say 25' with the folding tail positioned in the v nose.
          > > >
          > > > I had a close call with the width and height (had to remove oil inj), but made it. The wings I slung from the walls with 3" vinyl drainage hose that folds flat and padded them with bubble rap.
          > > >
          > > > Read Robert's post that he suggested, it has very important things to be aware of.
          > > >
          > > > Good luck,
          > > >
          > > > Rod

        • Don Zank
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2011
            Fly it! Why would you trailer an airplane?? Planes fly, boats follow a car, on a trailer!!! :)  :)
            DZ

            I, too, am looking to purchase a CGS Hawk. It's a Classic II but am concerned about trailering it also. Main concern is about the width of the landing gear. Anyone know how wide it is? I have a flat bed trailer with 83 inches to work with inside the pipes and wheel wells. Any help would be appreciated. Bob.

            --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "ChrisV" <cmvans@...> wrote:

            > From one who has chased a few planes, I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Corn nuts, Lemon aid and go man go :^)
            >

            > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_diving_pilot" <scubacrazy@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I bought a 26'V nose car carrier, I'm hoping that's gonna do the trick! I have been having a heck of a time finding somewhere to hanger it, so I bought a used trailer off of c-list pretty cheap. The Hawk I am supposed to go get is right at 700 miles as well. Wish me luck!
            > >
            > > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "fishmaster232" <fishmaster232@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > HI, Scuba,
            > > >
            > > > I bought and trailered my Arrow II about 700 mi. After checking truck rental prices I was lucky enough to borrow a 28' enclosed trailer from a friend.
            > > >
            > > > My Hawk took almost all of it, I would say 25' with the folding tail positioned in the v nose.
            > > >
            > > > I had a close call with the width and height (had to remove oil inj), but made it. The wings I slung from the walls with 3" vinyl drainage hose that folds flat and padded them with bubble rap.
            > > >
            > > > Read Robert's post that he suggested, it has very important things to be aware of.
            > > >
            > > > Good luck,
            > > >
            > > > Rod

          • Robert Burns
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2011
              Yes, flying it certainly is the preferred method.  Since I have no time in the Hawk I thought it best to consider trailering it home.  Reading Arty's blog about the Oshkosh trip got me thinking.  Regardless, thanks for the encouragement to fly it, Don.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 18, 2011
                Just measured my arrow II and the outside distance is 79" from wheel to wheel give or take an inch, maybe an inch and a half. I bought a 26' v nose enclosed car trailer, took the wings off and tail feathers off and had about 3 or 4 foot from nose to tail once the wheels were all chocked up and airplane tied down inside. The prop height was really close (my arrow has a 3 blade ivo on it). I pulled it 639 miles and it didn't budge an inch. I would have never trailered it home exposed, to much that could come loose, and to much stuff can fly up from the road. I looked at renting u-hauls penske and Ryder trucks, crazy insane rental fees. Check craigslist, I found the trailer I bought for just a little more than rental for a box truck.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 19, 2011
                  Great info.  This really helps.  On your trailer, you say it's 26 feet and a V nose.  Is that 26 feet of usuable room inside from the front of the V?  How wide is the door and then how high is it inside?  The reason I'm asking is to determine what size trailer I need to look for and also what style.  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 24, 2011
                    Sorry it took a day or two, the inside height was 6'6". My prop tips miss it when the 3 blade configuration is pointed one blade down two up, it misses by only 1/2 inch or so, and the nose has to be elevated to get it through the back door(to bring the prop size down closer to the trailer floor). Worked well with the wheels chocked up on three sides so the plane couldn't slide, also strapped it down for extra measure. Hope the info helps!

                    --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Robert Burns <bburnsound@...> wrote:

                    > Great info.  This really helps.  On your trailer, you say it's 26 feet and a V nose.  Is that 26 feet of usuable room inside from the front of the V?  How wide is the door and then how high is it inside?  The reason I'm asking is to determine what size trailer I need to look for and also what style.  Thanks.

                  • captaineqs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                      I had a similar problem on a plane / trailer combination that I had -- I deflated the tires on the main gear, and picked up several inches of clearance, while cutting down on the bounce which might have poked the blade tips into the ceiling.

                      Sticking a cookie pan under each tire made it easier to slide the plane (it sure wouldn't roll on flat tires). A bungee run between the hole in each end of the pan kept it in place under the tire.

                      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_diving_pilot" <scubacrazy@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry it took a day or two, the inside height was 6'6". My prop tips miss it when the 3 blade configuration is pointed one blade down two up, it misses by only 1/2 inch or so, and the nose has to be elevated to get it through the back door(to bring the prop size down closer to the trailer floor).
                    • Jerry Deckard
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                        Why not just take the prop off?  Anytime I trailer a plane, that is one of the first things that comes off.
                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
                          Thank you very much for your help.  This information will definitely be helpful as I move forward with getting an aircraft.