Help needed - Mitchell wing

  • dangrunloh
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hello Mitchell Wing enthusiasts. Help is needed to complete the materials list for the plans-built Mitchell B-10 and U-2 airplanes. EAA Light Plane World ran a news story about Wicks aircraft offering materials kits for them based on an old press release but there is a problem.

      As it turns out Wicks never received the complete materials list including wheels, hardware etc. We are informed that Richard Avalon has passed away, (not recently) so Wicks may have to rely on previous builders to help. They have already received calls from persons interested. Scott at Wicks (618-654-7447) says they need help to identify part numbers from their hardware catalog that would be appropriate. He also said they would gladly host a meeting with a few people to pull it all together. If you can help save these designs for posterity, please contact Wicks Aircraft Supply.

      Here is the original story.

      http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1011_wicks.asp

      --Dan Grunloh
    • frankbeagle
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
        Dan, do some searching for the guys who produced the A-10 series, if you can find them they bought all the rights for the Mitchell Wing.

        Frank "WOOF" Beagle
        Challenger AirMale
        N797FB
        http://Frankbeagle.blogspot.com

        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@...> wrote:

        > Hello Mitchell Wing enthusiasts. Help is needed to complete the materials list for the plans-built Mitchell B-10 and U-2 airplanes. EAA Light Plane World ran a news story about Wicks aircraft offering materials kits for them based on an old press release but there is a problem.
        >
        > As it turns out Wicks never received the complete materials list including wheels, hardware etc. We are informed that Richard Avalon has passed away, (not recently) so Wicks may have to rely on previous builders to help. They have already received calls from persons interested. Scott at Wicks (618-654-7447) says they need help to identify part numbers from their hardware catalog that would be appropriate. He also said they would gladly host a meeting with a few people to pull it all together. If you can help save these designs for posterity, please contact Wicks Aircraft Supply.
        >
        > Here is the original story.
        >
        > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1011_wicks.asp
        >
        > --Dan Grunloh

      • frankbeagle
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
          Dan this site might provide a little help

          http://home.earthlink.net/~mitchellwing/index.html

          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "frankbeagle" <frankbeagle@...> wrote:

          > Dan, do some searching for the guys who produced the A-10 series, if you can find them they bought all the rights for the Mitchell Wing.
          >
          > Frank "WOOF" Beagle
          > Challenger AirMale
          > N797FB
          > http://Frankbeagle.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Mitchell Wing enthusiasts. Help is needed to complete the materials list for the plans-built Mitchell B-10 and U-2 airplanes. EAA Light Plane World ran a news story about Wicks aircraft offering materials kits for them based on an old press release but there is a problem.
          > >
          > > As it turns out Wicks never received the complete materials list including wheels, hardware etc. We are informed that Richard Avalon has passed away, (not recently) so Wicks may have to rely on previous builders to help. They have already received calls from persons interested. Scott at Wicks (618-654-7447) says they need help to identify part numbers from their hardware catalog that would be appropriate. He also said they would gladly host a meeting with a few people to pull it all together. If you can help save these designs for posterity, please contact Wicks Aircraft Supply.
          > >
          > > Here is the original story.
          > >
          > > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1011_wicks.asp
          > >
          > > --Dan Grunloh

        • dangrunloh
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
            --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "frankbeagle" <frankbeagle@...> wrote:

            > Dan this site might provide a little help
            >
            > http://home.earthlink.net/~mitchellwing/index.html

            Thanks Frank. Yes that link is in the article. As to rights EAA Headquarters received a formal press release from David Gustafson Communication Resources Bellingham Washington that Wicks had been granted the right to assemble raw material kits. It's possible Richard (or his wife Carol) had forgotten details of previous agreements. BTW I also got an email from a Mitchell fan who says he was given permission by Richard Avalon (before he passed away) to develop a 2-seat version of the B-10. Didn't the T10 folks also make a 2-seater? I was lucky to meet Richard about 5 or 6 years ago at the CGS party at Sun-n-Fun. He wasn't doing so great even then and had to be taken to the hospital after an encounter with muzzleloader. He had liver trouble and shouldn't have been drinking. Chuck will remember that episode. It's shame when we loose one of the pioneers.

            Carol is still selling the plans through that website.

            --Dan

            > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "frankbeagle" <frankbeagle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dan, do some searching for the guys who produced the A-10 series, if you can find them they bought all the rights for the Mitchell Wing.
            > >
            > > Frank "WOOF" Beagle
            > > Challenger AirMale
            > > N797FB
            > > http://Frankbeagle.blogspot.com
            > >
            > > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello Mitchell Wing enthusiasts. Help is needed to complete the materials list for the plans-built Mitchell B-10 and U-2 airplanes. EAA Light Plane World ran a news story about Wicks aircraft offering materials kits for them based on an old press release but there is a problem.
            > > >
            > > > As it turns out Wicks never received the complete materials list including wheels, hardware etc. We are informed that Richard Avalon has passed away, (not recently) so Wicks may have to rely on previous builders to help. They have already received calls from persons interested. Scott at Wicks (618-654-7447) says they need help to identify part numbers from their hardware catalog that would be appropriate. He also said they would gladly host a meeting with a few people to pull it all together. If you can help save these designs for posterity, please contact Wicks Aircraft Supply.
            > > >
            > > > Here is the original story.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1011_wicks.asp
            > > >
            > > > --Dan Grunloh

          • Mike Peters
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
              The T-10 was a 2-place version of the A-10.  I had seen a 2-place B-10 many years back.  It had a 4-cyl Konig engine, I think.

              I had a B-10 back in the 80's with a KFM engine.

              > Dan this site might provide a little help
              >
              > http://home.earthlink.net/~mitchellwing/index.html

              Thanks Frank. Yes that link is in the article. As to rights EAA Headquarters received a formal press release from David Gustafson Communication Resources Bellingham Washington that Wicks had been granted the right to assemble raw material kits. It's possible Richard (or his wife Carol) had forgotten details of previous agreements. BTW I also got an email from a Mitchell fan who says he was given permission by Richard Avalon (before he passed away) to develop a 2-seat version of the B-10. Didn't the T10 folks also make a 2-seater? I was lucky to meet Richard about 5 or 6 years ago at the CGS party at Sun-n-Fun. He wasn't doing so great even then and had to be taken to the hospital after an encounter with muzzleloader. He had liver trouble and shouldn't have been drinking. Chuck will remember that episode. It's shame when we loose one of the pioneers.

              Carol is still selling the plans through that website.

              --Dan

              > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "frankbeagle" <frankbeagle@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dan, do some searching for the guys who produced the A-10 series, if you can find them they bought all the rights for the Mitchell Wing.
              > >
              > > Frank "WOOF" Beagle
              > > Challenger AirMale
              > > N797FB
              > > http://Frankbeagle.blogspot.com
              > >
              > > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "dangrunloh" <dgrunloh@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello Mitchell Wing enthusiasts. Help is needed to complete the materials list for the plans-built Mitchell B-10 and U-2 airplanes. EAA Light Plane World ran a news story about Wicks aircraft offering materials kits for them based on an old press release but there is a problem.
              > > >
              > > > As it turns out Wicks never received the complete materials list including wheels, hardware etc. We are informed that Richard Avalon has passed away, (not recently) so Wicks may have to rely on previous builders to help. They have already received calls from persons interested. Scott at Wicks (618-654-7447) says they need help to identify part numbers from their hardware catalog that would be appropriate. He also said they would gladly host a meeting with a few people to pull it all together. If you can help save these designs for posterity, please contact Wicks Aircraft Supply.
              > > >
              > > > Here is the original story.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1011_wicks.asp
              > > >
              > > > --Dan Grunloh

            • mark47620
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
                --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Mike Peters <mjp103@...> wrote:

                > The T-10 was a 2-place version of the A-10. I had seen a 2-place B-10 many years back. It had a 4-cyl Konig engine, I think.
                >
                > I had a B-10 back in the 80's with a KFM engine.

                I still have numerous B 10 parts, ribs, plans, plywood, etc and the lot is for sale to a B 10 entusiast. Would like to see the stuff go to a good home

                mark smith