Re: Tach / regulator problem

  • fishmaster232
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
      Dana,

      I have a similar problem, but have no knowledge as to what is causing it or how to correct it.

      I have a CGS Hawk Arrow II with a 582 and a battery.

      My MGL Glass display has a RPM display, but I wanted a full set of analog gages too.

      I installed a Rotax tach reading off the same lead as the panel and it shows 1400 rpms lower than the panel. I sent the tach back and put a new one on and got the same results.

      I called MGL thinking I was overloading the lead, but the tech said it just reads the pulses from the engine and can't be overloaded.

      I do have a strobe system also, but the error is present with or without them being on.

      Rod

      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:

      > I'm having a bit of an electrical problem on my UltraStar.
      >
      > The plane has a Westach tach/EGT combo; the tach runs directly off the
      > lighting coil on the Cuyuna and always worked fine. I just added a Key West
      > regulator so I can have 12VDC power for my strobe and radio. The tach and
      > regulator are wired in parallel to the lighting coil (unlike the Rotax, the
      > Cuyuna has a single lighting coil). No battery. However, with the regulator
      > connected, the tach reads low.
      >
      > Here's the weird part. When I first installed the regulator, the read low,
      > no more than about 2500 rpm indicated at full throttle (6500 rpm). However,
      > when I switched on the strobe, it read correctly, except for a momentary
      > blip as the strobe fired. Figuring I needed a load on the regulator, I
      > added a 50 ohm resistor to the output to draw a constant 1/4 amp. Now it
      > indicates about 5000 rpm when the engine is actually doing 6500, regardless
      > of whether the strobe is on or off. I then disconnected the resistor, which
      > made no difference (still reads 5000). Finally, I disconnected the
      > regulator, and the tach again reads correctly.
      >
      > I went up to the airfield yesterday with some other components and test
      > leads, etc… figured on trying a capacitor across the output instead of the
      > resistor, or a smaller resistor on the input between the tach and
      > regulator, but it was too hot to fiddle with t… much nicer to go up a
      > couple thousand feet and cool off.
      >
      > Has anybody else seen this problem?
      >
      > -Dana
      >
      > --
      > If aliens are smart enough to travel through space, why do they keep
      > abducting the dumbest people on earth?

    • Richard Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
        fish,

        The difference is most likely due to the "number of pulses per RPM" being
        incorrectly set.

        R. Williams

        > I have a similar problem, but have no knowledge as to what is causing
        > it or how to correct it.
        >
        > I have a CGS Hawk Arrow II with a 582 and a battery.
        >
        > My MGL Glass display has a RPM display, but I wanted a full set of
        > analog gages too.
        >
        > I installed a Rotax tach reading off the same lead as the panel and it
        > shows 1400 rpms lower than the panel. I sent the tach back and put a
        > new one on and got the same results.
        >
        > I called MGL thinking I was overloading the lead, but the tech said it
        > just reads the pulses from the engine and can't be overloaded.
        >
        > I do have a strobe system also, but the error is present with or
        > without them being on.
        >
        > Rod
        >
        > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm having a bit of an electrical problem on my UltraStar.
        > >
        > > The plane has a Westach tach/EGT combo; the tach runs directly off the
        > > lighting coil on the Cuyuna and always worked fine. I just added a Key West
        > > regulator so I can have 12VDC power for my strobe and radio. The tach and
        > > regulator are wired in parallel to the lighting coil (unlike the Rotax, the
        > > Cuyuna has a single lighting coil). No battery. However, with the regulator
        > > connected, the tach reads low.
        > >
        > > Here's the weird part. When I first installed the regulator, the read low,
        > > no more than about 2500 rpm indicated at full throttle (6500 rpm). However,
        > > when I switched on the strobe, it read correctly, except for a momentary
        > > blip as the strobe fired. Figuring I needed a load on the regulator, I
        > > added a 50 ohm resistor to the output to draw a constant 1/4 amp. Now it
        > > indicates about 5000 rpm when the engine is actually doing 6500, regardless
        > > of whether the strobe is on or off. I then disconnected the resistor, which
        > > made no difference (still reads 5000). Finally, I disconnected the
        > > regulator, and the tach again reads correctly.
        > >
        > > I went up to the airfield yesterday with some other components and test
        > > leads, etc… figured on trying a capacitor across the output instead of the
        > > resistor, or a smaller resistor on the input between the tach and
        > > regulator, but it was too hot to fiddle with t… much nicer to go up a
        > > couple thousand feet and cool off.
        > >
        > > Has anybody else seen this problem?
        > >
        > > -Dana
        > >
        > > --
        > > If aliens are smart enough to travel through space, why do they keep
        > > abducting the dumbest people on earth?

        ------- End of Original Message -------
      • fishmaster232
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
          Hi Rich,

          The MGL has a setting, that when I spoke to the MGL tech is the very first thing we checked. (was correct)

          The analog tach has no setting that I know of and is made for the 503-582 Rotax engine.

          I believe the MGL tach is correct because I wouldn't get off the ground with two and full fuel at the 5000 rpm that the analog gage shows.

          I have a junction box on the rear bulkhead. A wire from the Rotax tach lead (gray I think) runs to that junction box then from there to the MGL. That is where I tapped into for the analog tach lead.

          Should I run a separate wire all the way back to the grey wire coming out of the Rotax?

          I used shielded wire, does it have to be shielded?

          Thanks for the help,

          Rod

          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Williams" <rkwill@...> wrote:

          > fish,
          >
          > The difference is most likely due to the "number of pulses per RPM" being
          > incorrectly set.
          >
          > R. Williams

        • Steve Bensinger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010

            On Jul 1, 2010, at 3:40 PM, fishmaster232 wrote:

            The analog tach has no setting that I know of and is made for the 503-582 Rotax engine.

            Hi Rod,

            Check the back of your analog tach. If there's a loop of yellow wire sticking out, cut it. That's the way a lot of the Westach tachs change the number of pulses per revolution they sense.

            Steve Bensinger
          • fishmaster232
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
              Hi Steve,

              Nope no loop. I ordered this tach made for a 582 so I wouldn't have any probs..... that worked out well...

              It does have a taped over hole with a adjustment screw inside that voids your warranty if disturbed. I played with this on the first tach that I sent back and it would not adjust enough at high RPM to overcome the error.

              Thanks,

              Rod

              --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Steve Bensinger <ulav8r@...> wrote:

              > On Jul 1, 2010, at 3:40 PM, fishmaster232 wrote:
              >
              > > The analog tach has no setting that I know of and is made for the 503-582 Rotax engine.
              >
              > Hi Rod,
              >
              > Check the back of your analog tach. If there's a loop of yellow wire sticking out, cut it. That's the way a lot of the Westach tachs change the number of pulses per revolution they sense.
              >
              > Steve Bensinger

            • Richard Williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                Fish,

                When you say 'MGL' do you mean one of the EFIS instruments
                or one of the 'singles' instruments?

                R. Williams

                > The MGL has a setting, that when I spoke to the MGL tech is the very
                > first thing we checked. (was correct)
                >
                > The analog tach has no setting that I know of and is made for the 503-
                > 582 Rotax engine.
                >
                > I believe the MGL tach is correct because I wouldn't get off the
                > ground with two and full fuel at the 5000 rpm that the analog gage shows.
                >
                > I have a junction box on the rear bulkhead. A wire from the Rotax tach
                > lead (gray I think) runs to that junction box then from there to the
                > MGL. That is where I tapped into for the analog tach lead.
                >
                > Should I run a separate wire all the way back to the grey wire coming
                > out of the Rotax?
                >
                > I used shielded wire, does it have to be shielded?
                >
                > Thanks for the help,
                >
                > Rod
                >
                > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Williams" <rkwill@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > fish,
                > >
                > > The difference is most likely due to the "number of pulses per RPM" being
                > > incorrectly set.
                > >
                > > R. Williams

                ------- End of Original Message -------
              • ROGER MILLS
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                  You said "tapped" onto the Grey wire??  You might be loading down the Rotax, try only the analog, compare that to only the digital.  When using the Grey wire on the CDI models both whites and the brown go to ground.  The other side of the tach goes to ground.  Make sure there is a good ground strap to the engine case.  If in doubt, run an extra wires from the low side of the tach to one of the white wires and ground the other.  Your other choice is to use an older style analog tach and connect it across the yellow alternator wires ahead of the rectifier, that way they are on separate circuits.

                  To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
                  From: fishmaster232@...
                  Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 19:40:27 +0000

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Hi Rich,

                    Call me Rod, Fish sounds so.... fishy :)

                    It's a MGL Stratomaster glass panel.

                    It reads ALL engine parameters (sp?) and fuel flow, alt, asi, oat,

                    Rod

                    --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Williams" <rkwill@...> wrote:

                    > Fish,
                    >
                    > When you say 'MGL' do you mean one of the EFIS instruments
                    > or one of the 'singles' instruments?
                    >
                    > R. Williams
                  • fishmaster232
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
                      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, ROGER MILLS <irsmiley@...> wrote:

                      > You said "tapped" onto the Grey wire??

                      ***Yes, added it to the out side of the junction box (1 wire from grey lead to box two going out)

                      You might be loading down the Rotax, try only the analog, compare that to only the digital.

                      ****OK I will try this

                      When using the Grey wire on the CDI models both whites and the brown go to ground. The other side of the tach goes to ground. Make sure there is a good ground strap to the engine case.

                      *** I will check this

                      If in doubt, run an extra wires from the low side of the tach to one of the white wires and ground the other.

                      ***WHAT IS LOW SIDE OF THE TACH ?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
                        You have the MGL, it only needs the grey wire as the source for the pulses, the low side is internal and is the main ground for the unit.

                        The separate analog tach usually has one terminal or wire that is the input, that's the 'high' side and goes to the grey wire.  The "low" side may or may not be the case.  Either way, it needs to go to a good ground.  In some cases there are two wires and either one can be the "high".  Check the info sheet for the tach you have.

                        Some tachs are sensitive to the amplitude of the pulses and may read low if those pulses are not quite high enough in voltage.  It is a threshold sort of thing and sometimes a tach won't read at all.

                        Having two tachs connected to the grey wire may load that voltage down enough so one tach or the other may read low.  Sometimes the ground in the panel has a high resistance to the engine case, that lowers the voltage of the pulses and can cause the same thing.

                        Rotax drawing shows two white wires that go to a ground point inside the engine.  It also shows a brown wire that is also connected to an internal ground.  The brown should go to a chassis ground point at or near the engine.  The two white wires are intended to go to remote locations, (like a plastic panel), as a common, or "low side" connection.  One can go to the panel for things like the tach, the other can go to a "kill switch" somewhere else, or to lights or ???.  Using them for things like that means you don't depend on the chassis as the only "ground".

                        The older engines only had one brown wire and you grounded that, then you had to run separate wires from that ground or 'common' point or depend on the chassis.

                        The older tachs read pulses from the alternator coil, I did mis-speak when I said "across" the yellow wires.  In your case, you would only use one and tap that to the tach input, the other tach connection goes to a good ground.  This is only if you try an older tach on the CDI engine.

                        Generally speaking, ground or common wires do not need shielding but sometimes a long run or other bad connections can cause them to pick up noise or induced voltage spikes from proximity to other wires.  Not usually tho.  If that does happen, a symptom might be high or erratic tach readings.

                        To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
                        From: fishmaster232@...
                        Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:22:57 +0000

                        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, ROGER MILLS <irsmiley@...> wrote:

                        > You said "tapped" onto the Grey wire??

                        ***Yes, added it to the out side of the junction box (1 wire from grey lead to box two going out)

                        You might be loading down the Rotax, try only the analog, compare that to only the digital.

                        ****OK I will try this

                        When using the Grey wire on the CDI models both whites and the brown go to ground. The other side of the tach goes to ground. Make sure there is a good ground strap to the engine case.

                        *** I will check this

                        If in doubt, run an extra wires from the low side of the tach to one of the white wires and ground the other.

                        ***WHAT IS LOW SIDE OF THE TACH ?

                        Your other choice is to use an older style analog tach and connect it across the yellow alternator wires ahead of the rectifier, that way they are on separate circuits.

                      • Jerry Pridemore
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
                          There is a company that makes propellers, and you do the sanding, and finishoing of them, does anyone know who it is??????
                          I cannot remember the name

                          Jerry Pridemore
                          Unleashed Paw-Tential Dog Training