Tierra or T bird

  • billy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
      I just looked at a tierra with a 277 rotax. The thing seemed really tail heavy. Even sitting in the cockpit I'm not sure it would fly. Anyone have any experience with a t bird?
    • Don Zank
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
        Unless you are very light it will be fairly piggy in performance.
        DZ

        I just looked at a tierra with a 277 rotax. The thing seemed really tail heavy. Even sitting in the cockpit I'm not sure it would fly. Anyone have any experience with a t bird?

      • Jerome Greuel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
          Try the T-Bird yahoogroup for more info.   The T-Bird does fly but with a heavy butt.  You must do a W & B and try to keep the cg about 1/3 back from the leading edge of the wing.  You must have a tail wheel from the sound of it.  Jerry in MN

        • HShack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
            A guy at our field had one years ago, but it had a 532 on it. Don't think it would have flown with a 277.  The tail on this one was also very heavy.

            Howard Shackleford
            FS II
            SC

            In a message dated 6/1/2010 7:21:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, framed30@... writes:

            I just looked at a tierra with a 277 rotax. The thing seemed really tail heavy. Even sitting in the cockpit I'm not sure it would fly. Anyone have any experience with a t bird?

          • Larry
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
              Billy --- I owned and flew an older 2 place T-Bird that was converted to single place as recommended with a 532 and it performed ok.  I don't think a 277 would have done the job unless this one is a single place model. The tail is heavy (105 lbs) but it doesn't seem to matter in the air.  You don't have to worry about nosing over on the ground.