Re: UL: Storage

  • Roger Poyner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      A hangar at the airport is the best option.  It does depend on cost and your flying intent.  My Starflight was hangered until I decided to do some mods to the plane and it made more sense to put it in my shop and forgo hangar rent while I worked on it.  The part of the plane that does not like to be outside and exposed are the sails.  I keep mine in the shop out of the sunlight and the elements.  Right now they are off of the wings and hanging up.  I just have to be careful when I use the arc welder.  The down side of not using a hangar is what has been misnamed hangar rash.  Most damage occurs moving the plane and not in the hangar.  Minor fabric tears are the most common and can be repaired but you are still stuck with a patch on the wing.  Purpose built trailers with brackets to hold all the parts will cut down on this but it is still a problem.