Re:Need info re: GPL Electric starter

  • Mark Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, TheWanderingWench
      <thewanderingwench@...> wrote:

      > --- On Sat, 11/29/08, Mark Smith <mark@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I wrote a three page email about the GPL starter some years
      > > ago, just for you.
      > >
      > > Cjeck the archives,
      > >
      > > mark
      >

      > Mark -
      > I still have a copy of your e-mail - and my notes from the 2+ hour
      conversation we had in 2003 about installing the GPL. Thanks to your
      specific list of do's and don'ts, the installation went well and the
      GPL has functioned wonderfully...until now.

      > The starter motor TRIES to turn over, but doesn't.At first I thought
      it was the battery but after checking it out carefully, realize that's
      not the problem. I worked backward from the battery - checking cables
      for wear, fittings for tightness and corrosion, etc. No apparent problems.

      > I thought that there might be some maintenance/troubleshooting info
      out there. Bill Rutter's suggestion to take the GPL to a local starter
      shop instead of spending time/money with GPL - since they don't
      manufacture the starter - seems to make sense. I WILL call GPL
      tomorrow though just to see if they now have any written material on
      troubleshooting/maintenance. I've been using the GPL for 5 years and
      over 400 "starts" so it doesn't seem unreasonable that something might
      be wearing out.

      > Arty Trost

      glad it helped,

      the instalation of the GPL is a mess, and needs professional machingin
      in most cases to assure trouble free ops,

      after awhile, even with a good install, the brushes get a bit gunky
      and need cleaned or replaced,

      I'd suggest you remove the starter from your " ATV " and take it to a
      local starter repair shop

      While it is very easy to get apart, a bit of trickery is needed to
      reassemble it. I used two pieces of thin plastic to hold the four
      brushes whilst sticking the end bell back on,

      you might want to disassemble the end plate, maybe clean the brushes
      with some paint thinner or kerosene type solvents,

      re assembly can be a bit daubting but four hands can easily do the job,

      try it yourself as it can always be a basket case to the shop,,,,,

      mark
    • funderp47
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
        A friends GPL starter was dragging (turning very slowly) a couple of weeks ago. We took it
        apart, and a shaft bushing had crumbled. I found a bushing in my stash and replaced it.
        It was the only one I had the right size. I wish I had measured it for OD and ID.

        It worked okay afterwards.

        Phil