Re: UL: Re: Mythbusters ultralight on a conveyor belt

  • Mark Zinkel
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 12:53 AM
      Check it out:
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc

      Mark Zinkel
      flightdream.blogspot.com

      On Jan 31, 2008 3:18 PM, Dave and Jean Matheny <davematheny@...>
      wrote:

      > I missed it. So what was it about?

    • Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 5:06 AM
        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Zinkel" <dovesmagic@...> wrote:

        > Check it out:
        > http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc
        >
        > Mark Zinkel
        > flightdream.blogspot.com

        The way they describe iot in the cartoon is a for sure takeoff,,,,,,,,,,

        but often their words are much more misleading,,,,,,,,,,like the plane
        generates enough thrust to offset the moving belt and such, a for sure
        NON takeoff,,,,,,,

        The Quicksilver list has one of the participants of the show, a much
        better discussion of the mythe overall,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      • styroman
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2 10:01 AM
          Mark,

          The Mythbusters are desperate for programming material.

          Thrust, drag, lift, gravity . . . ground speed is irrelevant but for how
          long it will take to get there.

          The only thing happening when you pull the rug out from under the
          airplane is that it adds a few ounces of drag through the wheel bearings
          as they spin at a higher rate.

          Made that pilot look and feel silly for not knowing his stuff.

          Terry Graham

          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Smith" <mark@...> wrote:

          > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Zinkel" dovesmagic@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Check it out:
          > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc
          > >
          > > Mark Zinkel
          > > flightdream.blogspot.com
          >
          > The way they describe iot in the cartoon is a for sure
          takeoff,,,,,,,,,,

          > but often their words are much more misleading,,,,,,,,,,like the plane
          > generates enough thrust to offset the moving belt and such, a for sure
          > NON takeoff,,,,,,,
          >
          > The Quicksilver list has one of the participants of the show, a much
          > better discussion of the mythe overall,,,,,,,,,,,,,

        • Dana Hague
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2 12:23 PM
            At 01:01 PM 2/2/2008, styroman wrote:

            >The Mythbusters are desperate for programming material....
            >
            >Made that pilot look and feel silly for not knowing his stuff.

            The Mythbusters guys are one thing; they're entertainers, not
            engineers. The pilot should have known better, though.

            -Dana
            --
            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark.
            Professionals built the Titanic.
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2 1:53 PM
              What do you think would have happenend if the conveyor
              belt was going in the other direction?
              --- Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:

              > At 01:01 PM 2/2/2008, styroman wrote:
              >
              > >The Mythbusters are desperate for programming
              > material....
              > >
              > >Made that pilot look and feel silly for not knowing
              > his stuff.
              >
              > The Mythbusters guys are one thing; they're
              > entertainers, not
              > engineers. The pilot should have known better,
              > though.
              >
              > -Dana
              > --
              > Never be afraid to try something new. Remember,
              > amateurs built the ark.
              > Professionals built the Titanic.

              John Dittmer
              HTF Ultralights Inc.

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Richard Gray
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2 8:27 PM
                The Ark, you really believe that story-----------Richie

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3 1:33 PM
                  --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, John Dittmer <john.dittmer@...> wrote:

                  > What do you think would have happenend if the conveyor
                  > belt was going in the other direction?

                  It would be the first case of a takeoff with the brakes

                  actually not, as I have done this in an 503 HP MXL

                  Be kinda like a hand launch of an RC plane

                  Did buy a used MX many years ago and all three tires were flat. Needed
                  a couple guys to get me rolling a bit to take off.