Re: RE: Re: How is the Fat UL market holding up?

  • David Childers
    Message 1 of 150 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Slusarczyk" <chucks2000@...>
      wrote:

      > Unfortunately that's the same story here as well. Friends of mine
      in construction are losing their jobs to illegals. They were making
      $20.00 -$25 .00 an hour now the illegals are doing it for $8.00 -
      $10.00 and our gov't is letting it happen. My wife is in real estate
      and it's dead as well. Read this article today and it sure seems to
      explain partially what's happening . I Know it's not UL related
      but
      > in a way it is .If people don't have disposible income for toys we
      don't eat. Here's the address :

      http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2007/10/30/political_s
      olutions

      > Townhall has many good articles especially if you lean
      Conservative. So as not to start a war with those of the Liberal bent
      if you have something to say to me about posting the address do it in
      a private e mail.

      > See ya
      > Chuck S

      far reaching consequences. Maybe it's more than just the auto
      industry - I don't know. My construction supply company(concrete
      block/brick yard) is having it's worst year in the 29 years I've had
      it. We bought it after it had been closed for 3 1/2 years due to a
      bankruptcy. I did more work in the first 12 months after reopening it
      than I've done this year and back then it was during the 78/79
      recession.
      > I had a well driller stop in last week who has been in business
      since 1969. He typically drills 65-70 wells a year. He said that he
      might - if lucky - get to drill 28-30 by years end.
      > Things are definitely off in the machine shop too. This appears
      to be somewhat spotty as I've talked to some other shop owners who
      are doing well - one actually complaining that he might have to
      expand. On the other hand I've seen a lot of auction listings of
      large shops closing up.
      > The number of foreclosures in the local county newspaper is
      around 12-15 a week. We have a cottage at a small near by lake.
      Everyone noticed that there were far fewer powerboats & jetski's out
      on the water this summer. Fishing boats were down just a bit. It
      seemed that folks weren't spending money on fuel.
      > The marine dealer next door is certainly not as busy winterizing
      boats. It used to be that all we'd hear all day at this time of year
      was the motors being run up pumping antifreeze through the cooling
      systems. It is noticeably quiet around there. Earlier this summer I
      noted that he had more boats sitting in storage than normal.
      > I bought a house in Lansing last year to do a flip on. It's now a
      flop. It will cost at least as much to fix as it's worth. I paid
      $7.5K for it. The assessed value(50%) is 21K. It just sits there
      waiting for me to spend money I don't have on it. A 2 bedroom house a
      few doors down went on the market last January for 59.9K. The asking
      price was down to $39.9K for 2 months before is finally sold 2 weeks
      ago. I don't know yet what it actually sold for in this flooded
      market. In a number of places in Lansing last month, I could point
      out 3 and even 4 houses in a row that were for sale. It seems
      everyone is getting the heck out of Dodge.
      > My neighbor of 18 years just packed up and left for a job in Los
      Vegas.
      > Me? I'm looking for other opportunities. If someone would
      actually hire me - I could afford to keep the shop as a hobby and
      still have an income.
      > Ron O

      half. What is surprising to me is that sales for our 103 model never
      took off. Seems people want a 103 but with brakes ,electric
      starters ,big engines etc etc.. So right now I don't have a clue
      what's going on. And others in the Industry don't seem to know either.

      > See ya
      >
      > Chuck S

      Sport.
      > It's over adapt!!!!

      Behalf
      > Of Don Zank
      > Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:25 PM
      > To: FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: UL: Re: How is the Fat UL market holding up?
      >
      > Sport airplane is the worst thing that ever happened to aviation
      so far!
      > It is fine for those with 100K to spend and shit for everyone
      else. And
      > any newbies or those comming from GA take a look and say....huh,
      sport
      > planes cost 100K or better, hell I can't afford that, I going to
      the
      > Harley store or boat store or or or. What a load of krap. It will
      be
      > another year or two before those bad vibes go away and reality
      comes
      > back.
      > DZ

      Don
      > Zank and Mark Smith as full time builders, trainers and sellers.
      I am
      > not asking about your private financial situation, but the
      attitude of
      > the market. I see a lot of used planes on the market. I hear that
      > Canada is gaining from our bad dollar value and looming
      recession. How
      > low is the market going to get before it turns around like the
      FAA
      > promised with the LSA market? When will this big turn around
      occur?

      > Jay

      > Perhaps a change in government policy is in order,Google Ron Paul.
      > David Childers

    • James Galvin
      Message 150 of 150 , Nov 5, 2007
        I have the same issue with my Flightstar. I don't think people are being
        nasty or demeaning. They just don't know what to call us. We sure look
        like what they imagine an ultralight looks like. As for me, if I'm in
        the pattern with a King Air in front of me and a Citation behind me the
        ATC has his hands full. He is trying to space us out, have us identify
        each other, and get us on the ground w/o killing each other. So I cut
        him a lot of slack when he describes my looks and performance to the
        other traffic. Actually sometimes when the ATCs are stressed it can get
        sort of comical.
        Jimmy

        Never understood the "real airplane" thingy, as I consider anything
        that flies through the air and is not alive a real airplane (or
        helicopter or etc). Can't figure out how such a machine couldn't be
        real.

        I should also mention...... since most LSA will be running the 912,
        the "ultralight" moniker is going to stick around. Some guys hate
        that, tho I personally kind of consider it a compliment.

        I still get called "Ultralight" in the titan, partly due to the
        appearance and partly due to the motor which doesn't sound too far off
        from a healthy 582 running a 3 blade prop....

        Not long ago the former co-owner and I were sharing the pattern, he in
        a 172 getting current and me in the titan. He kept calling me
        "ultralight" over the radio for the fun of it and pretty soon the
        tower and the other traffic was all calling me "ultralight" as well.

        Tho having gone to the Dark Side a bit now, now that I run the 912, I
        still wear the ultralight label proudly as I'm a product of the now
        defunct BFI program even tho I started off in GA.

        But another man would probably have been rather freaked out.....

        LS