Unusual Quicksilver

  • Dan Grunloh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      See this listing for a local GT-400. He has
      registered the plane, but it has not been inspected.
      Check engine type. It says ramjet but he must use
      a 503 to get it up to ignition speed. The DAR has not
      yet approved the glider he pulls to carry the fuel.

      :-)

      http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N579RF.html

      -- Dan (I read it on the internet) Grunloh
    • Bob Comperini
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
        On 09:31 AM 6/1/2007, Dan Grunloh wrote:
        >It says ramjet but he must use a 503 to get it up to ignition speed.

        Funny :) My plane has the same engine type. They also (wrongly) show mine as an amateur built. I also checked a few others, that I know registered as E-LSAs. The ones I checked all seem wrong. This website must be a little screwed up.

        --
        Bob Comperini
        e-mail: bob@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Grunloh" <dgrunloh@...> wrote:

          > See this listing for a local GT-400. He has
          > registered the plane, but it has not been inspected.
          > Check engine type. It says ramjet but he must use
          > a 503 to get it up to ignition speed. The DAR has not
          > yet approved the glider he pulls to carry the fuel.
          >
          > :-)
          >
          > http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N579RF.html
          >

          > -- Dan (I read it on the internet) Grunloh

          Dan, are you sure that Ramjet isn't a mistype of Rotax ?
        • Mark Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Bob Comperini <bob@...> wrote:

            > On 09:31 AM 6/1/2007, Dan Grunloh wrote:
            > >It says ramjet but he must use a 503 to get it up to ignition speed.
            >

            > Funny :) My plane has the same engine type. They also (wrongly)
            show mine as an amateur built. I also checked a few others, that I
            know registered as E-LSAs. The ones I checked all seem wrong. This
            website must be a little screwed up.

            > --
            > Bob Comperini
            > e-mail: bob@...
            > WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com

            engine type would be gas or maybe two stroke gas, Rotax is a
            manufacturer,,,,,,

            I bet the FnAA in their infinite wisdom have a BOT that reads
            submittals and compares it to a list of engine types, Rotax reads
            like Ramjet to the BOT

          • Ken Cleaver
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
              Another Ramjet. I think rotax gets messed up for ramjet

              http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N95LA.html

              Ken

              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
              they've always worked for me.
              Hunter S. Thompson

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                On 10:25 AM 6/1/2007, Mark Smith wrote:

                >engine type would be gas or maybe two stroke gas, Rotax is a
                >manufacturer,,,,,,
                >
                >I bet the FnAA in their infinite wisdom have a BOT that reads
                >submittals and compares it to a list of engine types, Rotax reads
                >like Ramjet to the BOT

                Engine data is correct on the FAA website. Its just this 3rd party website that is wrong. Can't blame the FAA for that one.

                --
                Bob Comperini
                e-mail: bob@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                  -}> See this listing for a local GT-400. He has
                  -}> registered the plane, but it has not been inspected.
                  -}> Check engine type. It says ramjet but he must use
                  -}> a 503 to get it up to ignition speed. The DAR has not
                  -}> yet approved the glider he pulls to carry the fuel.
                  -}>
                  -}> :-)
                  -}>
                  -}> http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N579RF.html
                  -}>
                  -}>
                  -}> -- Dan (I read it on the internet) Grunloh
                  -}
                  -}Dan, are you sure that Ramjet isn't a mistype of Rotax ?
                  -}
                  -}

                  Quicksilver #001 is not right either...

                  Gary O.
                  N181RL
                  -} =original text
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
                • Dan Grunloh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                    --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Bob Comperini <bob@...> wrote:

                    > On 10:25 AM 6/1/2007, Mark Smith wrote:
                    >
                    > >engine type would be gas or maybe two stroke gas, Rotax is a
                    > >manufacturer,,,,,,
                    > >
                    > >I bet the FnAA in their infinite wisdom have a BOT that reads
                    > >submittals and compares it to a list of engine types, Rotax reads
                    > >like Ramjet to the BOT
                    >
                    > Engine data is correct on the FAA website. Its just this 3rd party
                    website that is wrong. Can't blame the FAA for that one.

                    I knew the facts of the case. I used the term "local"
                    quicksilver as a clue and included a smiley emoticon
                    I thought the group would enjoy the laugh. The owner
                    is a good buddy and I have flown with him often. His
                    GT400 is down for work right now, the aluminum gear
                    legs have become bowed, and his tires are wearing on the inside.
                    He tried to straighten them in a press but one broke at an
                    undetected crack. Now he must decide if he should get new
                    aluminum legs are go with steel. The steel are 3/4 axles
                    which is a problem for his existing 5/8 wheels and brakes.
                    The plane is quite a bit heavier than the original design.

                    --dan

                    > --
                    > Bob Comperini
                    > e-mail: bob@...
                    > WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com

                  • Gary Orpe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Not surprising. My GT 400 shipping weight came in at 466 lbs. Specs said it
                      was 270 something empty and had a gross of 520. Now we all know better than
                      that, right? I guess I should have left the foam and cardboard off of it.
                      :-)

                      Yeah, Ramjet. I like that one. HeHeHe

                      Your friend may find some help here:

                      Gary O.
                      N181RL
                      -} =original text
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                      -}> On 10:25 AM 6/1/2007, Mark Smith wrote:
                      -}>
                      -}> >engine type would be gas or maybe two stroke gas, Rotax is a
                      -}> >manufacturer,,,,,,
                      -}> >
[...]
                      -}> --
                      -}> Bob Comperini
                      -}> e-mail: bob@...
                      -}> WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com
                      -}>
                      -}
                      -}
                      -}
                      -}
                      -}Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com
                      -}Yahoo! Groups Links
                      -}
                      -}
                      -}
                      -}
                    • Mark Smith
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Grunloh" <dgrunloh@...> wrote:

                        > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Bob Comperini <bob@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 10:25 AM 6/1/2007, Mark Smith wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >engine type would be gas or maybe two stroke gas, Rotax is a
                        > > >manufacturer,,,,,,
                        > > >
                        > > >I bet the FnAA in their infinite wisdom have a BOT that reads
                        > > >submittals and compares it to a list of engine types, Rotax reads
                        > > >like Ramjet to the BOT
                        > >
                        > > Engine data is correct on the FAA website. Its just this 3rd party
                        > website that is wrong. Can't blame the FAA for that one.
                        >
                        > I knew the facts of the case. I used the term "local"
                        > quicksilver as a clue and included a smiley emoticon
                        > I thought the group would enjoy the laugh. The owner
                        > is a good buddy and I have flown with him often. His
                        > GT400 is down for work right now, the aluminum gear
                        > legs have become bowed, and his tires are wearing on the inside.
                        > He tried to straighten them in a press but one broke at an
                        > undetected crack. Now he must decide if he should get new
                        > aluminum legs are go with steel. The steel are 3/4 axles
                        > which is a problem for his existing 5/8 wheels and brakes.
                        > The plane is quite a bit heavier than the original design.
                        >
                        > --dan
                        >

                        > > --
                        > > Bob Comperini
                        > > e-mail: bob@
                        > > WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com

                        smiley botwithstanding, the Rotax got read as Ranjet to the FnAA types,,

                        BTW, the gear legs are pretty winmpy even for a stock 400 with all the
                        goodies like 503, battery, fairing, etc, a well rigged out GT400 can
                        almost double the empry weight of the advertised model,,,,,,

                        The steel legs are 3/4 axles like you say, and they take special
                        fittings at the lower end to adapt the leg to the wheels and the Matco
                        brakes used on the 500

                        but they are VERY HEAVY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and VERY exspensive tool,,,,
                        plus the new wheels, and likely brakes,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,