Re: UL: Just so I'm sure I understand....

  • pilot11ams
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 1, 2007
      Bill,

      Completely false, Cirrus did not "have" to add the chute to get
      certified. They had the plane certified prior the installation of the
      chute. And we see them in spin training all the time here in Duluth,
      MN where they are made. I have many pilot buddies that work for them
      on a contract basis checking out new owners and they go out and spin
      them regularly. I think you'd have a hard time finding an FBO that
      would let you rent one for spin training as they are so dang expensive.

      Andrew

      "Bill" wrote:

      > If you look closely, there may be more than just *one* someone.
      >
      > Cirrus *had* to add the chute since the plane could not get itself
      out of a spin every
      > time without it. The FAA will not certify a plane with this
      aerodynamic feature. The
      > Cirrus corporate staff are now roaming around the country trying to
      teach first
      > responders how to disarm the chute so it doesn't kill anyone when
      the Cirrus is flown
      > to the crash site. I attended one such lecture. One Cirrus crash had
      the plane sitting
      > in pieces for a week before someone noticed the explosive was still
      armed. Another was
      > sitting in avgas on hay bales in pieces where the chute pull cord
      was stretched and
      > another shift of the pieces would have fired the rocket. After the
      lecture this guy
      > handed out his card and said when I see a Cirrus crash, he'd be
      happy to fly out and
      > neutralize the chute.
      >
      > I don't think that I can agree that Cirrus don't fall out of the
      sky, and I am not
      > sure that the Cirrus certified sticker makes this plane as safe as
      most other
      > certified planes. I am sure that on a good day, a good pilot can
      keep it from falling
      > out of the sky. Not so if either it's not a good day or a good pilot.
      >
      > If you doubt any of this, ask your local FBO if you can take some
      spin training in
      > their Cirrus. Let us know what they say. I am betting they suggest
      some other plane on
      > their flight line.
      >
      > Bill Watson
      > bill@...
      > (and a GA pilot)

      Dennis
      > > Cady <dennis_h_cady@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dwight,
      > > >
      > > > Are you a idiot or what. The Cirrus is not a ultralight but a
      > > certified aircraft and they do not fall out of the sky.

      > > Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • richardt2005
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 3, 2007
        --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, jerb <ulflyer@...> wrote:

        > What's that new little Hirth weigh that CGS is using on his
        > ultral-Hawk. That's in the area your looking for. What I've heard
        > it sounds like that engine is doing well.
        > jerb

        Yes, the Hirth F33. I've talked with Chuck about it, he likes it.
        35lbs including exhaust sys. - 42lbs W/re-drive - 48lbs W/elec.
        start. It's number 1 on my list right now, I'm just looking around to
        see if there's anything else I've missed.