Re: UL: 100 lbs

  • Robert Metzler
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      Yes I was wrong about the 2 messages comming from the same
      poster. I wasn't aware of the Yahoo change and I should have
      checked to see which ISP was assigned that series of addresses.
      I willingly apologize to the list and Dick Carrier for that
      mistake.

      I have apologized for other mistakes I have made before,
      including one just a short while back, so I have no problem
      apologizing when I am wrong.

      I was not wrong in my post about Carrier. Every word was true
      and Carriers own posts are in the archives to prove it. Time
      passing and/or his long absense from the list does not change
      those facts.

      If the truth can't be posted here, then there is something
      seriously wrong. If you will notice, I made a polite response to
      Ed and then I didn't persue any of the other comments made about
      my post. I felt that I had said all that needed to be said so I
      didn't expand any further.

      I appreciate the fact that you left any decision up to Bob
      instead of acting in haste. I just hope Bob will be reasonable
      about it.

      Rory Davis wrote:

      > Bob,
      >
      > Bill is correct. Yahoo changed their header scheme recently. If someone is
      > posting from the Yahoo web interface the X-Originating-Ip: will show the address
      > of the server used, and adds a new X-Yahoo-Post-Ip: for the sender's machine IP
      > address.
      >
      > If the message was sent via e-mail then the X-Originating-Ip will be the
      > sender's machine's IP address.
      >
      > In the case of the two messages you cited, X-Yahoo-Post-Ip shows them coming
      > from two separate domains.
      >
      > It looks like you've stuck your foot in your mouth there Bob.
      >
      > You have been warned repeatedly about ad hominem attacks on other listmembers.
      > I will leave it up to Bob C. to decide whether or not to remove your posting
      > privileges. I suggest that you apologize to the list and harveyking2002
      > especially, and perhaps you will be able to remain on Fly-UL.
      >
      > Regards
      > Rory
      > Moderator
      >
      > Bill Watson said the following on 11/30/2005 7:43 PM:
      >
      > > --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Robert Metzler <sleepy6@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I doubt it. Looks like what one would find if one used the yahoo
      > > group website to post an email like I am doing with this one.
      > > Bill Watson
      > > bill@...
      > >

      > >>Attention Bob Comperini
      > >>
      > >>Compare the headers on the post below to the headers on the post
      > >>from HarveyKing2002:)
      > >>
      > >>Look at the line that says "X-originating-IP"
      > >>
      > >>It looks like Dick may have posted through a sock puppet to give
      > >>himself an excuse to start up his crap:)
    • Bob Comperini
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
        On 08:34 PM 11/30/2005, Robert Metzler wrote:
        >Attention Bob Comperini
        >
        >Compare the headers on the post below to the headers on the post
        >from HarveyKing2002:)
        >
        >Look at the line that says "X-originating-IP"
        >
        >It looks like Dick may have posted through a sock puppet to give
        >himself an excuse to start up his crap:)

        Ok, since you asked.. I did look at the headers. In the first place, that line in Yahoo headers only proves that the persons used the web based Yahoo Message Sender to post their mail. It does NOT show the true IP address of the person's PC. Yahoo adds the "X-Originating-IP" to e-mails. Several years ago, it did appear that these were the person's actual IP in the world, no matter what the person used to post a message but now, they just point to Yahoo. The bottom line is that this field is not always accurate.

        You're smart enough to look at a particular header, and base an allegation on that, yet you don't realize that those are Yahoo IP addresses??? Now, WHO is starting up crap?

        Why not search your entire mailbox(es) for that same string ("216.155.203"). I'll bet you see them on all posts to Yahoo lists, from people who posted via the web.

        In the meantime, one of us owes the list an apology. You, for falsely accusing Dick/Loren, or me, for telling you, you're wrong with your assumption.

        Tell you what: E-mail me privately. Prove what you are saying is true, and I'll remove both of them from this list. If you can't prove it, I'll remove you from the list. You've got one day. The clock has started.

        --
        Bob Comperini
        e-mail: bob@...