Re: Attention Deer Hunters

  • pilot11ams
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
      "David Bottomley" wrote:

      > That's exactly what deer whistles are SUPPOSED to do. The way I
      understand
      > them, they generate a high frequency harmonic which makes the deer
      stop and
      > listen. In other words, they stay still and listen rather than
      bound out in
      > front of your car.

      Dave,

      In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is freeze a deer near
      the road so that it stands there and looks at you in curiosity due to
      the whistles. I prefer them to scatter long before the car or
      motorcycle gets up on them, and drive very carefully as you pass.
      Those whistles scare nothing....in my experience.

      Andrew
    • jeff key
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
        Put you a siren on your plane ,that will scare anything off the runway. J.C. Whitney has them for $22.00 to $38.00
        j.key
        P.S. Mine works good....
        > That's exactly what deer whistles are SUPPOSED to do. The way I
        understand
        > them, they generate a high frequency harmonic which makes the deer
        stop and
        > listen. In other words, they stay still and listen rather than
        bound out in
        > front of your car.

        Dave,

        In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is freeze a deer near
        the road so that it stands there and looks at you in curiosity due to
        the whistles. I prefer them to scatter long before the car or
        motorcycle gets up on them, and drive very carefully as you pass.
        Those whistles scare nothing....in my experience.

        Andrew

        Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com

      • Jay D
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
          > Put you a siren on your plane ,that will scare anything off the
          > runway. J.C. Whitney has them for $22.00 to $38.00 j.key
          > P.S. Mine works good....

          -------------------

          I bet the neighbors really love you....

          Nah.....

          Jay D
        • Scott Perkins
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
            What if you had a pistol with blanks or something like a starters pistol
            in Track ? Would a loud bang on final scare them into running away ?

            Of course you might be met with a SWAT team soon after your roll-out
            if you have jumpy neighbors.

            I guess there are plenty here who wouldnt bother with the blanks..
            Just pack their own six shooter. Could come in handy the next time
            a spam-can got a little too close.

            Scott

            Steve wrote:

            > They don't like the smell of MOTH BALLS,spread them around the strip,more
            > where they come in... Steve

          • Bob Newman
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
              Just go by a toy store and buy a Gazoo or some other cheap blow horn. Just
              blow it when you see deer on the runway, or cows in an emergency landing
              field. Hang glider pilots have been using them for years, to signal other
              pilots in the air or to let ground crews know where to find them.

              Bob Newman
              North Texas

              > Put you a siren on your plane ,that will scare anything off the runway.
              > J.C. Whitney has them for $22.00 to $38.00
              > j.key
              > P.S. Mine works good....

            • jeff key
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
                FOR SALE-3-RH PUSHER WARP DRIVE BLADES 66" DIAMETER TO USE WITH 503 DC W\C-BOX...BRAND NEW, LE TAPE, TIPS PAINTED WHITE, WAS GOING TO BE USED WITH HPL HUB, BUT USED HUB FOR TRACTOR APPLICATION ON A FLIGHTSTAR$525.00 shipping is included, if interested e:mai me off list. thanks,
                j.key
                > That's exactly what deer whistles are SUPPOSED to do. The way I
                understand
                > them, they generate a high frequency harmonic which makes the deer
                stop and
                > listen. In other words, they stay still and listen rather than
                bound out in
                > front of your car.

                Dave,

                In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is freeze a deer near
                the road so that it stands there and looks at you in curiosity due to
                the whistles. I prefer them to scatter long before the car or
                motorcycle gets up on them, and drive very carefully as you pass.
                Those whistles scare nothing....in my experience.

                Andrew

                Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com

              • jerb
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2005
                  You need to have a deer fry fly-in. You should be able to obtain a
                  special harvest permit from the state and take a few on yor
                  property. Hey Kolbers, how do you like your deer?
                  jerb

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2005
                    They don't like the smell of MOTH BALLS,spread them around the strip,more
                    where they come in... Steve
                    > > Put you a siren on your plane ,that will scare anything off the
                    > > runway. J.C. Whitney has them for $22.00 to $38.00 j.key
                    > > P.S. Mine works good....
                    >

                    > -------------------
                    >
                    > I bet the neighbors really love you....
                    >
                    > Nah.....
                    >
                    > Jay D
                    >

                    > Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Broommail
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
                      > I have vented and feel better now ,and will go fly with caution
                      > ,thanks for the concern .
                      > Dave R

                      Please do - my field had a deerstrike just a few days ago. Didn't do much
                      good for either the deer or the plane, although no humans were harmed.
                      There was some underwear damage, the plane can probably be repaired, and the
                      deer.... well, its problems are over for good.

                      >---Broomstick---
                      Any Day Above Ground Level Is A Good Day