Re: Primer question

  • lucien stavenhagen
    Message 1 of 59 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Dave and Jean Matheny"
      <davematheny@p...> wrote:
      > Mark wrote :
      > "The stock 400 fuel system has afairly high 'draw' to the pump>
      > > Not sure whre you monyed the primer but if it is on the dash, it might
      > > take twenty pumps to fill empty lines. . ."
      >
      > It's on the same plate as the ignition key and choke. (Kinda crowded
      there,
      > actually.)
      > But yes, that leaves a pretty long line to the carb. I experimented
      with
      > pumping the primer many times, but that didn't seem to improve
      things over
      > the 3-stroke approach. In fact, it was so much worse the engine just
      would
      > not start.
      >
      > No, 3 pumps seems to be the magic number . But it sure acts like fuel
      > starvation after starting to run.
      >
      > I think I will keep an eye on the line and see if the fuel is really
      getting
      > there after 3 strokes.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > --DM

      My plane actually doesn't use the primer but the good ol' bulb/choke
      arrangement. I don't like it a great deal, but it's actually the
      better solution on this plane. The primer was tried by the previous
      owner and then removed - the long run to the tanks as well as the
      generally cramped area there under the motor makes locating the primer
      difficult. He reported lots of problems getting gas up to the carbs
      with it which makes sense given the installation. He removed it and
      went back to the bulb.
      I use the bypass around the bulb as well, a rather comical but
      actually fairly sensible compromise. I can't argue with how well it
      works though - starts on the 3rd pull every time and catches
      immediately and fully...... So I'm leaving it alone right there as it
      has worked over the 450 hours currently on the plane.....

      As far as long runs with the primer, even on my trike where access to
      the right side of the motor was very open and the run to the tank was
      only a foot or so, it took quite a few pumps of the primer to get gas
      to the carbs.....

      LS
      N646F
    • Robert Metzler
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 5, 2005
        The word "working" or "pumping" doesn't matter much since the
        throttle only goes forward and aft:) Nobody ever explained what
        it was suppossed to accomplish:)

        If your entire gripe was when Mark changed the word "working" to
        "pumping", why didn't you point that out clearly instead of all
        the other BS in your posts?

        Just another smoke screen to hide another Pitcher screw up Mike.