Re: UL: Re: prop harmonics ?

  • Bill Volcko
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      Mark,
      The older, short drive, has three R-16 bearings and a spacer. The tall
      drive has four, no spacer.

      Mark Smith wrote:

      > Bill Volcko wrote:
      > >
      > > Challenger II 503 tall redrive
      > >
      > > Mark Smith wrote:

      > play
      > > > in
      > doesn't do
      > > > the
      > > >
      > > > what plane is this on ?
      > > >
      > > > four bearings ??
      >
      > maybe the taller drive has more bearings,
      >
      > they sure could use the extra length to absorb to prop inertia better,
      >
      > I just worked on a short redrive, did some machinging due to a loose
      > locknut, freed up the adjusting bolt,new belt, new bearings, but just
      > three,
      >
      > --
      >
      > Mark Smith
      > Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
      > 1121 N Locust St
      > Mt Vernon, IN 47620 mailto:mark@...
      > 1-812-838-6351
      >
      > Need help? Contact: fly-ul-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > [click here]

      > Service.
    • rrc62_03782
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
        The BD5 had prop harmonic issues. The cause was power pulses from
        the engine. It was so bad in the first BD5's that the harmonics
        would destroy the drive system in h=just a few minutes and was the
        cause of a few of the early crashes.

        I've ssen it more on composite props, but the engine power pulses
        can cause the blades to vibrate and look as if they are not tracking
        straight, especially at lower RPM. For a 2 stroke, 3000 RPM is low.

        Ross