Re: UL: people selling their ultralights/fats/experimentals etc...

  • pahantommaria
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 1, 2004
      JOBS THE ISSUE? FINE! HERE'S THE RECORD

      The nation seems to be over its quota of economic idiots right now who
      want to make jobs the issue in the 2004 presidential race.
      "Outsourcing" is the big buzz-word right now, and both the politicians
      and the media-types are eager to tell you how many jobs have been lost
      overseas because of the outsourcing phenomenon.

      OK ... here are some statistics. And NO, they don't come from some
      conservative think tank or some research group under the control of
      the Republican Party. They come from the Labor Department's. Bureau
      of Labor Statistics.
      The peak unemployment rate during the recession that began in
      Clinton's term was 6.4 percent. The current unemployment rate is 5.6
      percent.
      In the last year more than 2,000,000 new jobs have been added in the
      United States.
      Between 1983 and 2003 outsourcing went from 6.5 million jobs to about
      10 million jobs.
      Between 1983 and 2002 jobs in-sourcing -- jobs coming TO the United
      States -- went from 2.5 million to 6.5 million.
      If you subtract the jobs coming to the United States every year from
      the jobs going out every year you come up with a "net" figure. The
      net outsourced jobs reached its peak in the early 1980's; a peak of
      about 4 million jobs. In other words, things were worse at the end of
      the Carter Administration then they are right now.
      During this same period ... from '83 to '03 a total of 38 million jobs
      have been created by private businesses in the United States. No
      other industrialized country in the world has matched this number.

      So ... that's a pretty bleak picture, isn't it?

      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, jerb <ulflyer@v...> wrote:
      > Perhaps your seeing the fall out from the growing number of people
      becoming
      > unemployed. Without income people (consumers) don't buy anything
      much more
      > than necessities - that ripples through out all sectors of our
      > economy. Compounding this is we have allowed a large number of our
      jobs to
      > be exported outside the shores of the US, the remainder is being
      filled by
      > illegal aliens. At least we can be comforted knowing China is doing
      very
      > well. Were not even near the bottom of the effect yet. Look out.
      > jerb
      >

      > At 10:36 PM 2/23/04 -0500, you wrote:
      > >In a message dated 2/22/2004 8:59:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > >backbay68@h... writes:
      > >
      > > > are there more people unloading their aircrafts these days or
      does it
      > > > just seem that way? I'm curious when i see really nice aircraft
      that
      > > > are near new selling often. I have seen some really nice singles
      and
      > > > 2 place being sold and i wonder why...
    • Ron & Mary Ohler
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 3, 2004
        Don says
        I could live real well on 35
        bucks an hour. That is over 70K a year and maybe the lifestyle will have
        to change to accomadate??
        \
        I could too! Like we've been saying, the work isn't there! I could be fairly happy if 700 hours of paying work came through the door in a year. Don't forget about month worth of time spent on paper work that is done each year for Government and taxes. How about the time spent bidding work that you never get? (one job I quoted in September was 3 weeks waisted time.)How about phone book or other advertizing? Or the building and property maintainence. Or money that is spent on taxes(The tax assesor claims my property's taxable value went up 80.4% this year!) We also pay a personal property tax for all equipment and tooling owned by the business. Yes folks, you worked yer butt off to make the money to buy a piece of equipment or tooling and now you have to pay a tax each year on it's origional purchase price for as long as you own it. No depreciation is figured! Even a fixture that you made to do a job with is taxed if it is on the property at the end of the year. Same goes for your office desk, the calculator, computor, the lawn mower-etc.
        All of this costs time and money. As a small business owner, it is your time and money. Thats why you'll find me here at the shop about 65 hours a week. I took home less than $3,000. last year. Thats why I'm particulary peeved that the money that I spent on renewing my ASC membership during the ASC Nationals and the donation that I put in the bucket didn't earn me so much as a $0.50 ribbon for my placement in the Nationals competition.
        Ron Ohler