Re: UL: Zanzottera engine

  • ron_reagan25 <ron_reagan25@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2003
      Take a custom home for example.
      Same set of plans.

      One contractor is honorable quality minded individual that is proud
      of his work and uses quality materials and modern equipment.
      Other is fly by night that doesn't care about anything other than
      getting final draw.

      The end result is quite dramatic. Do we go back and punish the good
      contractor because another contractor in a different country botched
      the job the last time the plan was built.

      Proof in point is we have not heard the negative comments about the
      new line which has been going for 1-1/2 years.
      If they were siezing and falling out of the sky people like you would
      be more than happy to let us all know.

      Don, don't buy one, but at least let the people now building them
      have a chance.

      Jhon

      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Don Zank <donzank@z...> wrote:

      > "stingair " wrote:
      >
      > > An old consensus from Italian manufactured Zanzoterra's.
      > > Compact Radial engines now produces the engine line under license
      in
      > > Canada. It appears they are producing a reliable engine now and
      like
      > > most is just trying to make a living.
      >
      > But if it is under license then it must be the "same" otherwise it
      would be a
      > different motor and then they don't "need" the Zans factory. Right??
      > DZ
    • rauschgm
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2003
        I'm reminded of a story of two manufacturers making engine parts. They
        had exactly the same prints, tolerances, and essentially the same
        machinery. They had been pre-qualified by the customer from samples
        submitted.
        One had a reject rate of nearly 50% while the other had a rate of less
        than 6 per million. The difference? How they controlled the process.
        Most anyone can run a drill; not every one does it well.

        Jerry

        ron_reagan25 wrote:
        > Take a custom home for example.
        > Same set of plans.
        snip
        > Proof in point is we have not heard the negative comments about the
        > new line which has been going for 1-1/2 years.
        > If they were siezing and falling out of the sky people like you would
        > be more than happy to let us all know.
        >
        > Don, don't buy one, but at least let the people now building them
        > have a chance.
        >
        > Jhon

        snip
      • Brad Johnston
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2003
          Okay, I see your point. But, can you point to the planes and show the numbers for the engines built in the last year and a half?
          One contractor is honorable quality minded individual that is proud
          of his work and uses quality materials and modern equipment.
          Other is fly by night that doesn't care about anything other than
          getting final draw.

          The end result is quite dramatic. Do we go back and punish the good
          contractor because another contractor in a different country botched
          the job the last time the plan was built.

          Proof in point is we have not heard the negative comments about the
          new line which has been going for 1-1/2 years.
          If they were siezing and falling out of the sky people like you would
          be more than happy to let us all know.

          Don, don't buy one, but at least let the people now building them
          have a chance.

          Jhon

          --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, Don Zank <donzank@z...> wrote:

          > "stingair " wrote:
          >
          > > An old consensus from Italian manufactured Zanzoterra's.
          > > Compact Radial engines now produces the engine line under license
          in
          > > Canada. It appears they are producing a reliable engine now and
          like
          > > most is just trying to make a living.
          >
          > But if it is under license then it must be the "same" otherwise it
          would be a
          > different motor and then they don't "need" the Zans factory. Right??
          > DZ

        • J Pridemore
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2003
            <<<Do we go back and punish the good contractor because another contractor in
            a different country botched
            the job the last time the plan was built.>>>>
            Yes we do. Make it right the first time and you don't have these problems, and
            what problems you do have you take care of in an honorable fashion.

            <<<< Proof in point is we have not heard the negative comments about the new
            line which has been going for 1-1/2 years. If they were siezing and falling
            out of the sky people like you would be more than happy to let us all know.
            Don, don't buy one, but at least let the people now building them have a
            chance.>>>>

            Zanzottera created this delima, with either poor management, lack of concern
            for quality control, or both, and now they have to prove themselves all over
            again. I see no reason to cut them slack now because they say they are better.
            Let them prove it. They earned their bad rep, and now they can pay the price
            of it.
            Too many companies get away with this type of behaivior of poor quality, and
            ethics, and then claim a resurgence of ethics, and standards. It cost nothing
            to make claims, and talk about about "a new beginning".

            Jerry Pridemore
            Jerry@...

            Trikes Rule!!!
            Pictures of my Trike, and Trike info at:
            www.jerrypridemore.com

          • Dan Grunloh <dgrunloh@illicom.net>
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2003
              --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Johnston" <bradley.johnston@r...>
              wrote:
              > Okay, I see your point. But, can you point to the planes and show
              the numbers for the engines built in the last year and a half?

              Let me play devils advocate and ask who cares about
              the last year and a half? It proves little. There are
              plenty of naive buyers who will act as test pilots for
              any newly introduced engines. I want to know which ones
              have run 500 hours for ordinary pilots with not too
              much trouble. Maybe Zans have a good engine for ultralights.
              We don't know yet, but we will have a better idea in two
              or three years. Realize that's only 100-150 hours for the
              average pilot.

              --Dan

              Service.