Re: 582 using Amsoil

  • bshamblin2002 <shamblin@hci.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
      on another list, a rotax rebuilder commented that then 100/1 engines
      he sees taken apart dont look as good as the 50/1 engines re ware
      patterns. still a flyer at my airport ran his 503 to 800 hrs on
      amsoil. when asking about the possibility of running amsoil at 50-
      70/1 the concensus seemed to be "no one knows - dont do it". i am
      interested in what this thread will produce. bill

      --- In FLY-UL@yahoogroups.com, "don ford" <windsong@v...> wrote:
      > I've been wondering if anyone on the list is using Amsoil in their
      582?
      > I've been using Amsoil with my 503 for a while now. The first thing
      > noticed when switching fron Penzoil to Amesoil, was that the engine
      turned
      > faster when cranking with the electric starter; (quicker starting)
      and
      > approximately 200 more rpm on climb out. (had to increase prop pitch
      > slightly).
      >
      > I would like to use it on a 582 if the oil injection could be
      adjusted to
      > give a fuel to oil ratio of 80:1 or higher at cruise rpm.
      > If it can't, then using premix would be the next step. Of course it
      depends
      > on whether or not the 582 can handle synthetic oil.
      >
      > Somebody told me one time to break the 582 in on factory recommeded
      Penzoil,
      > and then switch to synthetic.
      >
      > Any comments? Best regards, Don Ford
    • Planeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
        I know a fellow that used Amsoil only ,and had over a 1000 hrs on a crank ,
        he did top ends at 300 hrs on his 503. Said he was going to replace the
        crank at 1200. Still watching that guy to see how he makes out .
        Dave R

      • lucien stavenhagen <lucien@metrowerks.co
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
          Well, this is just my opinion....,

          But to my mind the most important thing about lubrication of a 2-
          stroke is:

          - using the correct grade of oil
          - using the correct amount of oil
          - using good gas

          In other words, everyone I know who gets good performance and
          longevity out of a rotax runs

          - an API TC or TCW rated 2-stroke oil
          - runs it at 50:1 (premix) or whatever you get with oil injection
          when it's setup per Rotax's recommendations (and doesn't run the
          mixture too lean, etc.)
          - runs their motor frequently, i.e. doesn't let it sit for longer
          than 2 weeks on a regular basis.

          There's years and years and field experience behind this to back it
          up as something that helps insure a good running, long lasting motor.

          I do these things with my 503's and sure enough at the 150 hour on
          one of my 503's, it turned out to be hardly worn at 117 hours. They
          both run like tops with no problems.

          Now, if you ask me, going down to 100:1 on the oil turns you into a
          test pilot. 100:1 is simply not enough oil at full throttle. It's
          probably enough to last a while at lower throttle settings, I'll
          grant that, but at full power we need 50:1 or thereabouts.

          Nothing magic about it, just simple physics of enough lubrication for
          a lump of metal a given size doing X amount of work....

          So, to me, I don't think it's a complicated question. Are you running
          enough oil and is it at least the correct grade? If yes, you're
          probably going to get nominal results. If no, then you're likely to
          get something other than nominal results.....

          JMHO,

          LS
          AC fun racer 503.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • chadhilbert <jc.hilbert@cox.net>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
            "don ford" wrote:
            > > I've been wondering if anyone on the list is using Amsoil in
            their 582?

            Don,
            Back in the "Loud Birdman" days, we used Amsoil in our "single,Bosh
            ignition, non-provision" Rotax 503s. We weren't to sophisticated
            back then. No engine insturments at all, Hall ASI, etc. We didn't
            even know what the proper ratio should be, so we just used 1 oz per
            gallon. Proceedure was to turn off the overhead fuel valves on the
            saddle tanks, pour in the Amsoil, fill with fuel, and go fly. We had
            numerous engine-outs......cause we kept forgetting to turn the fuel
            valves back on....Other than that, everything worked fine.

            Chad
          • Steve Bensinger
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
              On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 09:47 AM, lucien stavenhagen
              <lucien@...> wrote:

              > Now, if you ask me, going down to 100:1 on the oil turns you into a
              > test pilot. 100:1 is simply not enough oil at full throttle. It's
              > probably enough to last a while at lower throttle settings, I'll
              > grant that, but at full power we need 50:1 or thereabouts.
              >
              > Nothing magic about it, just simple physics of enough lubrication for
              > a lump of metal a given size doing X amount of work....

              Hi Lucien,

              Can't argue too much with that. If you were to go to 100:1 with
              Pennzoil you'd definitely have problems - Pennzoil was formulated for
              50:1 in our engines. But IMHO, it's not how much oil you mix out of the
              bottle, but how many "lubrication molecules" you end up with in the
              final mix. Amsoil was formulated to be mixed at 100:1. If you're really
              determined to stick with Rotax's recommendations, you could buy
              Amsoil's injector oil and premix it 50:1.

              I ran Amsoil at 100:1 for over 300 hours in the 503 on my Coyote and
              was real happy with it. In premix it was great because I could carry
              half the oil with me on cross countries. When I went to injection on
              the 582 that advantage went away, so I've been running Pennzoil, and
              it's been great, too.

              When Lockwood did their tests on oils they ran Amsoil at 50:1, and got
              horrible results. That was pretty unfair to Amsoil. It was obvious that
              it was too much oil. Later on at a seminar (it was either given by Phil
              Lockwood or Mike Maddox of Pennzoil - can't remember), we were told the
              results of running Amsoil at the recommended 100:1. I wish I could find
              my notes, but as I remember it, the Amsoil was better in some respects
              than Pennzoil, and worse in others. In general, they scored just about
              the same.

              There are a lot of people using Amsoil at 100:1 in our engines. If they
              were failing because of lack of adequate lubrication, you can bet we'd
              be hearing about it. (Witness all the noise we still hear about
              Hirth...)

              Here's hoping we all stay well-oiled in the New Year!

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Steve Bensinger
              Aventura II - http://homepage.mac.com/sbensinger/aventura
              Hawk II Arrow under construction -
              http://homepage.mac.com/sbensinger/hawk
              Mulberry (Lakeland), FL
            • flier5_2000 <flier5_2000@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
                The label on the bottle recomends 50:1-80:1 for aircraft and
                other high load applications . I have a bottle but I am to afraid to
                switch and try it . So I will run it in the chainsaw at 80:1 and try
                it for a while in the spring if spring ever gets here .Dave Donnora