Re: The Silent 500

  • Hendrik Maroske
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Steve Cooper wrote:

      > It's all yours. Have at it. Post. You don't like the political zhit.
      > You don't like the Sprot discussions. What do you like?...or do you
      > just like to whine about it? It's your opportunity to show us what
      > this list is really for...

      Lately I've been asking, but did not see a reply.
      So here goes again:

      I am looking for someone who has transported a
      tube-and-rag plane from the U.S.A to Europe,
      and his experience about shipping fees, handling
      and so on. For example someone who had participated
      in the world games or similar, with a Quicksilver,
      Weedhopper or similar.

      Any info?

      > Go for it...or would you really just rather not have any posts to
      > download? Couldn't be bothered? Why subscribe?

      I am not after volume at all, if there's nothing
      to say, I can wait until there is.

      There is exceptionally good info on this list, and
      it takes exceptional work to extract from the
      ranting and shouting. That's just the price we pay :-)

      Spending the time with mounting airframe bolts
      and epoxying a seat.

      Cheers and lots of thanks for the invitation,

      Hendrik, as usual, a day late
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        > Steve Cooper wrote:
        > > It's all yours. Have at it. Post. You don't like the political
        zhit. It's your opportunity to show us what this list is really for..

        I posted this to Mark on a newsgroup and will post it here for anyone
        to repond to.
        >Mark wrote: I use low test amoco and have for twenty five years or
        more, The rotax manual specifies a different system for measuring fuel
        and our low twst, ie 87 octane, meets it. Hightest fuel costs more and
        burns hotter as read by the EGT it is slower burning and continues to
        burn out into the manifold, it thus produces slightly les power due to
        the incomplete combustion,
        to better use the high test fuels, the ignition timing would need to
        be advanced a bit, and possibly some porting and such other than
        higher temps on the egt gauges, and less power, it does no harm

        I have also noticed that the egt does tend to be higher and the cht
        lower using hitest gas. Never really thought about the incomplete
        combustion, however I have noticed that my plugs and piston tops do
        tend to accumulate more carbon. Could this be due to the incomplete
        burn? Would this also tend to collect carbon build up in the exhaust
        muffler?

        liteflyer
      • Chuck Scrivner
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          Very interesting. Examine and report the relationships when
          altitude /Temperature changes are thrown in. (lower atmospheric
          pressures) along with comperssion ratios that tend to be relativly
          high in the 2 cycle engine. What about lowered octane ratings when
          2 cycle oil is added to the mix?
          Chuck
          (more than ready to spend less for fuel)

          --- In FLY-UL@y..., "Don " <liteflyer@l...> wrote:
          > >Mark wrote: I use low test amoco and have for twenty five years or
          > more, The rotax manual specifies a different system for measuring
          fuel and our low twst, ie 87 octane, meets it. Hightest fuel costs
          more and burns hotter as read by the EGT it is slower burning and
          continues to burn out into the manifold, it thus produces slightly
          les power due to the incomplete combustion, to better use the high
          test fuels, the ignition timing would need to be advanced a bit, and
          possibly some porting and such other than higher temps on the egt
          gauges, and less power, it does no harm

          > I have also noticed that the egt does tend to be higher and the cht
          > lower using hitest gas. Never really thought about the incomplete
          > combustion, however I have noticed that my plugs and piston tops do
          > tend to accumulate more carbon. Could this be due to the incomplete
          > burn? Would this also tend to collect carbon build up in the exhaust
          > muffler?
          >
          > liteflyer
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
            I found this kind of interesting. It's a little bit ultralight
            related.
            Dan

            http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm