SP NPRM must be Supported Fully or Not at all

  • jerryb
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2002
      Some time back I questioned why John Ballyntine was involved with drafting
      the Sport Pilot proposal since it seemed to me obvious his USUA interest
      would be in direct conflict with the objective of SP. (I toad ya so.) I
      think what the committee has come up with is so complex it's going to be
      extremely difficult to be and stay legal.

      The last time they tried to modify the Rec. Pilot, the rules the FAA used
      were if you said you agree with it, they counted it as a Yes vote, if you
      said I agree with exception of section xyz or suggested a change, it was
      counted as a NO vote.
      I heard this directly from FAA staff presenting at Oshkosh. They stated
      that had people only given comments supporting the NPRM as published, it
      would have been accepted but many added comments that they disagreed with
      particular parts or suggested changes and they were counted as a NO even
      they made a statement overall they supported it. The No's out numbered the
      Yeses. He also indicated that they should have done is accepted the basic
      NPRM, and formally make suggested changes after it was accepted.

      If you want Sport stand behind it and support it by sending in a comment
      you totally support it as published. Anything other than that may likely
      be treated as a NO vote against it. In the end they count the yes against
      the no's.
      jerryb

      At 02:19 AM 1/31/02 -0600, you wrote:

      >Steve Gould wrote:This "N/A" category is totally Bogus, as even licensed
      >pilots will be
      >
      > > faced with having to N number ALL of the "ultralight" Quicks out at
      > > Podunk Patch Airstrip. Remember, hardly any fit the 103 category and
      > > more teeth is being placed in regulations with this Sprot thingy, that
      > > will classify your average Quicksilver ULTRALIGHT (that naturally weighs
      > > more than 254 pounds) as nothing more OR less than a Sprot Plane.
      >
      >Yup, but I think and hope that the FnAA will still not be able to do
      >enforcement on singles,and prolly won't care. With all the hype though, the
      >two seaters are doomed. Which is exactly what I told John Ballyntine and Jim
      >S. would happen if they didn't SHUT UP about two seat ULs!!!!
      >They both just wanted the dough and unless the FnAA appoints them cops for
      >the new rule they are out!!
      >DZ

    • Richard Gray
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 3, 2007